Softball: UConn looks to spark winning streak in the Addidas Invitational this weekend

By Spencer Mayfield

The UConn softball team will play five games this weekend at the Winthrop Addidas Invitational in Rock Hill, SC. The Huskies look to turn their season around after a rough 1-7 start.
UConn will take on Youngstown State and Winthrop today, Eastern Kentucky and Wright State on Saturday and Norfolk State on Sunday.
Although the Huskies want to right the ship this weekend, Coach Karen Mullins insists that the team is still taking things one game at a time. Mullins has encouraged players to not look past any opponents.
"We cannot start thinking that we should beat certain teams, we have to worry about ourselves," Mullins said. "Each game is a new challenge that we have to face."
Despite the slow start this UConn team has not been discouraged due to the quality of the teams that they have played. Mullins noticed the team making improvements despite their early struggles.
"We know these tournaments would be early in the year for us when we scheduled them," Mullins said. "We can just see them every game out getting a little stronger and making the adjustments they need to make. We were pleased with the progress and intensity even though it did not show up in the wins column."
The Huskies hope senior Audrey Grinnell can continue to her hot streak at the plate, which included two three-run homeruns this past weekend. Mullins attributed Grinnell's success to her hard work.
"She is an incredibly hard worker," Mullins said. "She has put in a lot of time working on her swing and that's just paying off for her. She's making some good adjustments and having great at bats."
Coach Mullins believes this young UConn team is ready to turn the corner this weekend after achieving their first win of the season last weekend.
"We certainly saw progress and that's what February is all about, getting better and better," Mullins said. "We feel that this weekend we are headed in the right direction and looking to turn the corner. We think this is the weekend where everything starts to pay off for us and we can turn things around."