Irish Baroque Orchestra to perform at the Jorgensen
The Irish Baroque Orchestra, driven by the belief that the best things in life stand the test of time, will attest to the statement and perform at the Jorgensen this Sunday.
The sights and sounds of 18th-century Europe, as vivid as a restored oil painting with color, simmering tension, and highly charged emotion, and a journey 300 years back in time is what the orchestra promises. Though rooted in the past, the orchestra is constantly evolving and now consists of musicians that perform more than 20 concerts year round.
Performing only on baroque instruments or modern replicas, the orchestra keeps the tradition of baroque music alive for future generations by educating and recording music.
Though most of the instruments seem familiar, there's one that is strictly a baroque instrument: the theorbo. A theorbo is one of the largest members in the lute family, concieved in Florence during the late 16th century. It was considered the perfect accompaniment for the human voice because of its gentleness. The instrument has twenty strings altogether and is played like a guitar.
The orchestra will perform at 3 p.m. this Sunday. Tickets are on sale at the Jorgensen: $10 for UConn students, $15 for non-UConn students, $30 for floor tickets and $26 for mezzanine tickets.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Column: Davis in advantageous position to reach elite level for UConn
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit