Women's Basketball: Huskies enter the AAC Tournament this weekend

By Matt Stypulkoski

• Breanna Stewart was named an All-Conference First Team member this week. She looks to help the Huskies thrive in the AAC Tournament. LINDSAY COLLIER/The Daily Campus

Each season, the UConn women's basketball team enters with three goals: win the regular season conference championship, conference tournament and national championship.
With a win against No. 3 Louisville at the KFC Yum! Center Monday, the Huskies checked the top item off that list for the first time since 2011. Now, they enter the inaugural American Athletic Conference Tournament in search of trophy number two.
A season ago, UConn fell at the buzzer of the Big East Tournament finale to Notre Dame, an unsurprising result after two regular season losses. This season, anything less than the program's 19th conference tournament would be a national shock.
The top-ranked Huskies (31-0, 18-0 American) are riding a 37-game win streak on their way into the weekend and have yet to play a game decided by less than 10 points in that span.
They also tout four newly crowned All-Conference First Team members. Stefanie Dolson, Bria Hartley, Moriah Jefferson and Breanna Stewart were all bestowed the honor on Thursday afternoon. Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis and Kiah Stokes were named to the All-Conference Second Team and Saniya Chong was among those on the All-Conference Freshman Team.
UConn led all teams in the conference with its six players named to either the First or Second Teams; Louisville, with four players named, ranked second in that category.
 On top of her All-Conference team accolades, Dolson picked up some additional hardware, winning the Defensive Player of the Year Award and sharing the Sportsmanship Award with Louisville's Tia Gibbs.
Dolson is the fourth player un UConn history to win a conference Defensive Player of the Year Award, with the most recent being Kelly Faris last year. Dolson posted 71 blocks and held the league's second-highest average with 9.1 rebounds per game this season.
Their first round opponent will be the winner of No. 8 Cincinnati and No. 9 UCF Friday night. Tip-off Saturday is set for 2 p.m. and can be seen online at ESPN3.com. Should they advance, the Huskies would play in the semifinals at 1 p.m. Sunday and the finals at 7 p.m. Monday.