Women's track: UConn to compete in ECAC Championship
The UConn women's track team will head to Boston this weekend to compete in the ECAC Championship meet and will attempt to win the event for the second consecutive year.
The Huskies are coming off a second place finish in the AAC Tournament last weekend, and are looking to win the ECAC Championship meet for the fifth time in seven years. Last year, the team also came into this meet off a second place finish in the conference tournament, although last year it was the Big East.
Associate head coach Clive Terrelonge echoed his comments from last week about the team's performances and expectations for this weekend.
"I'm excited to see what this team can do as the indoor season winds down," Terrelonge said. "It will give us a good look into what we can expect in the upcoming outdoor season, and I am so proud of all of their accomplishments already. We want to continue the strong play from last week for our final meets of the year."
The Huskies will lean on the reliable performances of seniors Celina Emerson and Natasha McLaren, both of which earned All-American's honors this season. Emerson has excelled this year in the sprints, and is coming off a fifth place finish in the 400-meter dash last weekend at the AAC Championships. Emerson has broken the school record for that event this year with a time of 53.38, and also owns the record in the 200-meter dash, finishing in 24.05 earlier this season.
McLaren has been one of UConn's best jumpers this year, as she took home fourth place last weekend in the high jump with a leap of 1.72 meters, and will look to reach her season best of 1.80 this weekend, which she has hit in multiple meets prior to this weekend.
Only the NCAA Championships remain on the Huskies' indoor track schedule upon the completion of this weekend's events. Those will be held next weekend in Albuquerque, N.M.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest