Mansfield plans rural project

By Katie McWilliams

In the March edition of the 'Mansfield Minute' the town announced that the town will publish a development plan for Mansfield Tomorrow in Spring 2014 for the public to review.
The publication describes the project as "a framework through which we can manage future change and maintain our rural character while providing access to the jobs and homes that are the foundation of the town's long-term sustainability."
The vision of Mansfield Tomorrow includes a plan for "historical rural villages, flourishing farms, and protected open spaces." The plan, however, does not exclude next-door neighbor and flagship university, the University of Connecticut. The project plans for well-developed commercial areas such as Four Corners and the Depot Campus. Changes will not be focused on the short term, but rather long-term sustainability and preservation. According to the plan's website, the goal is to preserve open space, but also to cultivate areas.
According to Mansfield Tomorrow, "we are committed to supporting diversity, sustainability, economic viability, an excellent public school system, and a high quality of life and sense of community for all residents. These commitments are reflected in our community institutions such as our library, schools, recreational programs and town events."
The plan's website cites developments like the Storrs Center and UConn Tech Park as reasons why the plan is necessary.
"With important projects like Storrs Center, the UConn Technology Park, and extension of public water and sewer service to the Four Corners area already in the works, Mansfield needs a plan for what's next - a plan that gives us the vision, the strategies, and the tools to become the 21st century community that we want to be," the project's website said.
Mansfield Tomorrow is getting its funding through the U.S Department of Housing and Urban Development, which promotes sustainable building and development.
The plan has six key aspects: provide more transportation, promote equitable and affordable housing, enhance economic competitiveness and to support existing communities and coordinate federal policies and investment.