Men mix it up at the Oscars

By Alexandra Bell

In comparison to women, men tend to have it pretty easy when it comes to dressing up. They can have just a few good suits for any occasion, and rarely have cause to worry about what goes with what. Once they are able to figure out exactly what their sizes are, and what brand flatters their shape best, their work is pretty much done and over with (lucky buggers). It is for this reason, that we have become accustomed to not paying much heed to men on the red carpet. They are asked who they are wearing for the sake of advertisement, but weather it is Armani or Ralph Lauren, they are usually just wearing a very regular looking black, grey or dark blue suit. It was a very pleasant treat, therefore, so see many of our favorite leading gentlemen playing around a bit with convention.
This year's Oscars proved that although men are easier to dress, and do not need to think too hard about what they jump into, they do have options. For example, Brad Pitt went with a snazzy "Mad Men" look, with wide lapels and a sharp bowtie. Slim fitting and smooth navy blue with thin lapels and a modern skinny tie to match was a look sported by a few, including heartthrob Zac Efron, who now only seems to make appearances for the sake of reminding us how good looking he still is. Matthew McConaughy went a little retro, with his reverse Oreo look. (Off white jacket with a black vest and pants.) He also joined Brad Pitt on the bow tie train. The always fabulous Will Smith put a spin on the classic men's look. He chose a wide-V lapel, inspired by the 1970s, and paired it with a relaxed open collar and a grey silk scarf. The look was refreshing and young. Jared Leto unfortunately decided to pile on as many extra credits as possible, and ended up buckling under the course load. His stark white jacket, bright red bowtie, marching band trousers and hombre tresses reminded us why most men just stick to the basics. He tried too hard, and ended up looking clownish instead of daring.
Aside from Leto's little letdown however, this Oscars was a night of courageous fashion exploration for our leading gentlemen, and left us feeling more than satisfied. For most of them, however, their most dazzling accessories were the stunning beauties by their sides. As is expected, the men were smart enough to remain simplistic looking enough to highlight their lady loves. It was a night of success all around.