Pro Side: Stewart, Hartley, and Dolson honored
There is never much surprise when members of the undefeated Connecticut Huskies women's basketball team are being showered with awards. Senior center Stefanie Dolson, senior guard Bria Hartley and sophomore forward Breanna Stewart have each been selected for the All-Region 1 Team as announced by the Women's Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA) on Tuesday, March 25. This marks the second selection for both Dolson (2013) and Hartley (2012) and the first for Stewart. All three have also been named 2013-2014 All-American Athletic Conference First Team picks. Stewart has already been named the American Conference Player of the Year and the ESPNW Player of the Year.
The WBCA All-America selection committee will select the 10-member WBCA Division I Coaches' All-America Team from these 52 All-Region picks.
Dolson is averaging 12.3 points and leads the squad at 9.1 rebounds per contest. She recently became only the fifth Husky all-time, along with Tina Charles, Maya Moore, Rebecca Lobo and Jamelle, to register at least 1,000 career points and 1,000 career rebounds. Dolson was named he 2013-14 American Conference Defensive Player of the Year and also the Sportsmanship Award winner. She is a finalist for both the Naismath and Wooden Player of the Year trophy.
Hartley is second on the team with 16.4 points per game and 154 assists. She is in the league's top-five in scoring, assists, assist-to-turnover ratio, steals and three-point field goal percentage and has scored 20 or more points 11 times this year. The USBWA National Player of the Week on January 20, Hartley is only the second Husky all-time, along with Maya Moore and Diana Taurasi to post at least 1,500 points, 500 rebounds and 500 assists.
Stewart is leading the top-ranked Huskies at 19.7 points per game and is second on the squad at 8.1 rebounds per contest. She ranks in the league's top-10 in scoring, rebounding, field goal percentage, three-point field goal percentage, blocks and free throw percentage. Stewart also graced the cover of the Sports Illustrated.
The North Syracuse, N.Y. native was honored as the 2014 American Conference Tournament Most Outstanding Player after averaging 21.7 points per game leading UConn to the title. The 2013-14 American Conference Preseason Player of the Year has been selected as the USBWA National Player of the Week and is a finalist for the Naismith Trophy and the Wooden Award.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit