Pro Side: Stewart, Hartley, and Dolson honored

By Elan DeCarlo

There is never much surprise when members of the undefeated Connecticut Huskies women's basketball team are being showered with awards. Senior center Stefanie Dolson, senior guard Bria Hartley and sophomore forward Breanna Stewart have each been selected for the All-Region 1 Team as announced by the Women's Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA) on Tuesday, March 25.  This marks the second selection for both Dolson (2013) and Hartley (2012) and the first for Stewart.  All three have also been named 2013-2014 All-American Athletic Conference First Team picks. Stewart has already been named the American Conference Player of the Year and the ESPNW Player of the Year. 

The WBCA All-America selection committee will select the 10-member WBCA Division I Coaches' All-America Team from these 52 All-Region picks.

Dolson is averaging 12.3 points and leads the squad at 9.1 rebounds per contest.  She recently became only the fifth Husky all-time, along with Tina Charles, Maya Moore, Rebecca Lobo and Jamelle, to register at least 1,000 career points and 1,000 career rebounds. Dolson was named he 2013-14 American Conference Defensive Player of the Year and also the Sportsmanship Award winner. She is a finalist for both the Naismath and Wooden Player of the Year trophy.

Hartley is second on the team with 16.4 points per game and 154 assists. She is in the league's top-five in scoring, assists, assist-to-turnover ratio, steals and three-point field goal percentage and has scored 20 or more points 11 times this year.  The USBWA National Player of the Week on January 20, Hartley is only the second Husky all-time, along with Maya Moore and Diana Taurasi to post at least 1,500 points, 500 rebounds and 500 assists.

Stewart is leading the top-ranked Huskies at 19.7 points per game and is second on the squad at 8.1 rebounds per contest.  She ranks in the league's top-10 in scoring, rebounding, field goal percentage, three-point field goal percentage, blocks and free throw percentage. Stewart also graced the cover of the Sports Illustrated.

The North Syracuse, N.Y. native was honored as the 2014 American Conference Tournament Most Outstanding Player after averaging 21.7 points per game leading UConn to the title.  The 2013-14 American Conference Preseason Player of the Year has been selected as the USBWA National Player of the Week and is a finalist for the Naismith Trophy and the Wooden Award.