Huskies lose heartbreaker to Hartford Hawks

By Matt Zampini

The UConn Huskies dropped a midweek contest to the Hartford Hawks on Tuesday by a score of 3-2, moving their record to 11-11 on the season. 

With the score knotted at two in the bottom of the ninth inning, the Hawks loaded the bases and were able to draw a walk to score the winning run. Hartford moved to 10-8 with the win over the Huskies.

UConn hopped on the scoreboard first in the fourth inning when Bobby Melley punched a single through the right side to score Blake Davey from second base. Hartford answered right back with a run of their own in the bottom half of the inning when Trey Stover hit a solo home run over the left field wall to tie the game at one run a piece. 

The Hawks then capitalized in the next inning with two runners on base with a single that brought one run across the plate to take a 2-1 lead.

Andrew Zapata got the nod on the mound for the Huskies on Tuesday and he tossed 6 1/3 innings, allowing two runs on five hits while striking out just one. Zapata was pulled, however, in the seventh inning in favor of Max Slade, who was able to work out of a jam to keep it a one-run game.

Trailing by a run in the eighth inning, the Huskies were in need of an offensive spark to level the game. Eric Yavarone stepped to the plate for the Huskies and brought that spark, delivering a single that scored Vinny Siena. Yavarone finished the day 3-for-4 while Siena went 2-for-4.  

Patrick Ruotolo entered the game for the Huskies in the eighth inning and made quick work of the Hawks with a 1-2-3 inning but Hartford was able to load the bases and force a walk against Ruotolo in the bottom of the ninth to clinch the win. 

The Huskies are back in action on Wednesday afternoon against the Central Connecticut State University Blue Devils. The game is scheduled to be the Huskies' home opener at J.O. Christian Field, but because of wet field conditions, that is subject to change. 

UConn defeated Central Connecticut State 6-1 in ten innings just a week ago in Florida, with the Huskies tallying five runs in the tenth inning to secure the victory. 

Firstpitch is scheduled for 3 p.m. Coverage of the game can be heard on 91.7-WHUS.