Storrs Side: Paul George denies that he was 'catfished'
Mark this Pro Side as one of the weirder stories of the school year. Indiana Pacers forward Paul George was accused of being "catfished" over the weekend and is now denying that it ever happened.
The story caught fire this weekend as news swept across the Internet that George had been swindled by an openly homosexual man into sending him nude pictures through a "catfishing", a scheme in which a person creates a fake online persona and builds relationships with other users.
Recently two pictures surfaced of George, one in front of a mirror and one taken with a webcam.
George is now saying that this "catfish" never took place and that the story was a scheme to disparage him. He said that he knows the girl who sent the pictures out and that it was all an attempt to bring him down.
"Catfishes" reached fame a year ago when Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o was a part of an in depth con that struck a chord with the whole nation. Te'o's girlfriend who he talked about at length in several interviews turned out not to be real and the ploy of a man in California.
"Lennay Kekua" as she was named became a household name and a bigger story than the national championship that Te'o was about to play in. Te'o's Fighting Irish were throttled in the national championship and he performed terribly.
George is hoping that this story won't be a distraction for him and his teammates as the playoffs slowly approach. This isn't the first rumor that George has had to deal with this season.
In February it was rumored that George had impregnated an exotic dancer in Miami and had offered her $1 million to have an abortion. George denies that this ever happened.
The Pacers and their young star need to get back on track and continue to move through these rumors. They have dropped two games in a row and are 5-5 in their last ten games.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit