Post Classifieds

E-Cigarettes present fire risk

By Julia Werth
On March 6, 2014

UConn's Fire Department has noticed that the number of students using e-cigarettes is increasing and there is an increased risk of fires.
E-cigarette chargers have been known to explode and therefore pose a significant fire hazard in UConn dormitories. Fires started by e-cigarettes have been increasing across the country and could do the same here at UConn if students leave them unattended.
"We recommend not leaving an e-cigarette on a charger when you are not present, such as leaving for class," Lieutenant Heidi Vaughan said.
Because the chargers heat up, if they are near flammable objects the risk of fire increases substantially.
"One case in Arizona states that a person had plugged in the e-cigarette to the charger and put it on top of the bed and left the home," Vaughan said.
Although no fires at UConn have been started by e-cigarettes yet, smoke detectors have been set off by the vapors they produce.
To avoid this happening the fire department recommends "that students smoke them outside, 25 feet from the building, as they would any other cigarette," Vaughan said.
 


Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly

From Around the Web

More Daily Campus News Articles

Recent Daily Campus News Articles

Discuss This Article

GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER

Log In

or Create an account

Employers & Housing Providers

Employers can list job opportunities for students

Post a Job

Housing Providers can list available housing

Post Housing

Log In

Forgot your password?

Your new password has been sent to your email!

Logout Successful!

You just missed it! This listing has been filled.

Post your own housing listing on Uloop and have students reach out to you!

Upload An Image

Please select an image to upload
Note: must be in .png, .gif or .jpg format
OR
Provide URL where image can be downloaded
Note: must be in .png, .gif or .jpg format