Simplicity makes a comeback at the Oscars

By Alexandra Bell

The red carpet at this year's Oscars was hands-down the most classically and tastefully beautiful in years. The royal ladies of Hollywood dressed like the princesses and queens they are, as they strutted gracefully down the power trail toward their gilded palace. All of this year's queens, or stunning Oscar veterans, were clad in enviable and unbelievably flattering gowns. Meryl Streep, Angelina Jolie, Julia Roberts, Cate Blanchett, Sandra Bullock and Charlize Theron were among the reigning monarchs. Their regal necklines, softly handled tresses and subdued gowns all added to their already powerful feminine presences. As was the refreshing trend this year, they stuck to monochromatics, and wisely held back on embellishments, using their elegant and swanlike necklines as the flourish to their subtle styles. Theron and Roberts went all black, reminding us all of the power of minimalism, and simultaneously infusing the red carpet with their usual spark of old Hollywood glamor. Jolie went a tad retro, with a gown inspired by the 1970s. Jolie's, like Blanchett, was monochromatic nude, with just enough shimmer to make us gasp.
The newer generation of Oscar principesse dazzled with their exciting and youthful glow. Jenifer Lawrence killed it as always, doing Dior proud in her Ferrari-red gown. Kate Hudson managed to make her insanely low neckline look angelic, as she floated on air in her very old Hollywood style white Versace. Lupita Nyong'o broke every heart with eyes to see in her powder blue work of art. She hardly seemed to touch the red carpet as she glided before the cameras in a cloud of heavenly Prada. Naomi Watts drew our eyes up where they belong in her vintage white lase. Her simple diamond collar, classical makeup and strait modern hairstyle completed her modest, yet breathtaking look. Let us not forget the always lovely Emma Watson, who continued this year's trend of understated style with her subtly shimmering grey top and coal black, floor-length skirt. The look was age appropriate, while expressing just how grown up she has become. Amy Adams was a rock star in her sexy, navy blue Gucci. She accessorized with Tiffanies and her electric smile.
Simplicity truly had its day, as our leading women sported seamless pastels, gentle metallics, and timeless blacks. Their jewels had glimmer but no glare. Their hair was done, but not overdone. Their makeup was either old Hollywood red lip and thin black eye lines, or modern nude lip and mild shadow. She is no Hollywood actress, but even Lady Gaga respectfully toned it down for the occasion, wearing a chaste, baby pink sheath and a surprisingly traditional updo. This article hardly does this year's tear-worthy red carpet justice, but does its best to offer some idea of why this year's ladies took the cake for glamorous minimalism and classical grace. The event positively dripped with feminine poise and well calculated style choices. Let us cross our fingers, and hope that this year's Oscars red carpet will have been the first in a lineup of well-done fashion events this year, and that simplicity is here to stay.