Allapartus releases debut EP "Fides//Fatum"

By Matt Gantos

Sometimes when the radio just isn't cutting it you need to turn your ears toward local music to get a fresh sense of what music really is. If you're currently looking for something new to broaden your horizons, take a dose of Allapartus.
Allapartus is an alternative band out of eastern New York who has just released their debut EP "Fides//Fatum." The five-track album is something of a wonder in the sense of the sheer amount of music inside.
The EP is about 21 minutes in length but every moment is something to enjoy. If you plan to listen to it, I would encourage you to listen to more than just the vocals. The complexity of the song structure is just so that you recognize each song but not so that you feel that three different songs were crammed into one.
That's not to disparage the vocals. The guys of Allapartus, four in total, all participate in the vocals but the driving force is front man Adam Woodley.
Woodley is also the main lyric contributor, on top of performing lead vocals. If some deep lyrics are criteria for good music then listen closely. All of the lyrics are available on Allapartus' Bandcamp site, where you can also stream the EP for free.
Some of Woodley's favorite lyrics he's written "I don't want to feel better/I want to better myself", from the first song on the release "Almost a Ghost." They hold a significance for him to remind him of a time in his life where he had a lot of pent up anger.
"Whenever I tried to talk about it with someone they were more interested in making me feel better, just trying to placate me instead of trying to understand the issue and confronting it." Woodley said. In our interview that "It wasn't until I tried to face it that I felt any peace of mind. Thankfully I was able to find some people who helped me with that."
The title of the EP "Fides//Fatum" is Latin for 'Faith and Fate,' a concept which Woodley has woven into the lyrics of the album.
"A lot of what the songs were about was facing a lot of anger and frustration that I was feeling towards my circumstance and what I perceived as my fate, and trying to understand and accept my situation and just doing the best I can through faith in myself and others."
Sometimes local music more inspired and relatable, because these aren't celebrities, these are college kids facing a lot of the same feelings that you are. Only they choose to express it through music.
"While I do consider myself a musician, I think of myself more as a songwriter, which is where my confidence lies. All three of my bandmates are better musicians than me," Woodley said.
Woodley and his bandmates, Ray Hernandez, Kurt Liniger and Tom Van Scoyoc, say that they like to think that they take their music more seriously than some other college musicians, but not to the point of arrogance.
"We're in a weird place right now because the bands that play at colleges are very different from us stylistically, so we've been in the minority since we began," Woodley said.
Despite maybe being the odd-band-out, Allapartus is going to "keep on writing, keep on building better songs, keep on building a better band."
Check out their EP on their website allapartus.com and support up and coming music.