USG offering subsidy for men's basketball tickets

By Heather Fyfe

The University of Connecticut's Undergraduate Student Government is offering subsidies to help students pay for tickets to the Huskies' March Madness headliner vs. Iowa State at Madison Square Garden on Friday.
Two hundred students will have the opportunity to purchase Sweet Sixteen tickets at a discounted price - $150 instead of the listed $200 that non-student attendees must pay. But students that have purchased their tickets from other sources will not be able to get money back on their tickets.
"My role in this is bringing athletics together with USG to try to find a way to make it easier and more affordable for students to get to the game. I was happy to find that both parties were interested in trying to make that happen," said Michael Daniels, the Undergraduate Student Trustee.
The student government has been working with the athletic department to get limited tickets into the hands of dedicated students. Winners of the lottery will be able to purchase tickets today at 10 a.m.
"If there are any left, those would go on sale to the rest of season ticket holders at noon, and then to the rest of students at two," said Daniels, "But really, I doubt there will be any left after the lottery winners. Not even all donors got the chance to buy tickets out of their allotment."
With such a high demand for tickets, prices are skyrocketing on the UConn Buy or Sell page and StubHub. Students are excited about the opportunity to purchase tickets at a more reasonable price.
"I wouldn't go to the game if I had to pay $200. $150, that I will consider," said Anton Gudz, a UConn junior who has been seen waiting outside of Gampel the night before basketball games with other diehard fans.
USG hopes that through the subsidy, some students that may not have been able to afford the $200 price will be able to attend the game. "This is a unique experience that UConn students deserve to have," Daniels said, expressing that NCAA Regionals have not been held in the Garden in 63 years, "We want to make a statement to show what our fan base can do as we make a name for ourselves in the new conference."
The game is set to start in Madison Square Garden on Friday at 7:27 p.m. as the UConn men's basketball team squares off against Iowa State to make a statement of their own.