New bus line serves Northwood Apartments

By Kyle Constable

Meet Silver Line, a new bus route at the Storrs campus that University of Connecticut Transportation Services hopes will alleviate overcrowding on some of the current lines.
The route, which runs from Storrs Center to Northwood Apartments, is most similar to Purple Line, as it provides service to some of the apartments northwest of the main campus. In recent semesters, Purple Line has seen a significant influx of students during peak hours, prompting Transportation Services to create Silver Line.
"Purple Line was overcrowding pretty badly on Hunting Lodge Road before it got to Northwood," UConn Transportation Services manager Janet Freniere said. "While we've never had more than five people at a time who couldn't get on at Northwood, we understood their and Res Life's frustration."
Silver Line is considered the best solution to the high volume of students, according to a survey conducted by Transportation Services. Only 17 percent of Northwood residents surveyed regularly take the Purple Line to Depot Campus, while the remainder exclusively uses the line to reach the center of campus.
"We conducted a survey of the Northwood residents and the route Silver Line runs was selected as the preference by an overwhelming number of them," Freniere said.
Essentially, Silver Line offers another bus for some apartment residents - who Freniere points out are still considered "on campus" - heading to the campus core during peak hours. And it comes with the added benefit of not having to go all the way out to Depot Campus, as Purple Line can handle the current percentage of passengers who use the route to reach that destination.
The line, much like other bus lines on campus, runs from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m., though there is only one bus on the route, according to Freniere.
The bus makes stops at Northwood Apartments, UConn Foundation, Field House, Co-op, Alumni, Arjona Eastbound, Town Hall, Storrs Transportation Center, Buckley, Arjona Westbound, West Campus, CT Commons, Student Union, North Garage and F Lot before continuing back to Northwood.
The line arrives at each stop roughly every 30 minutes, according to the Transportation Services website.
As for future bus line expansions, none are currently in the works for the Storrs campus at this time. Freniere said once the extension of North Hillside Road to Route 44 is completed and more students arrive on campus as a part of Next Generation Connecticut, Transportation Services will revisit the routes at that time.