THE GAMES ARE ON: The Olympic games bring a wide variety of sports from the well-known to the unusua
The biathlon is a mix of cross-country skiing and rifle shooting. The events for biathlon include individual race, sprint, pursuit, mass start race and relay. Any ski technique is allowed in the biathlon. However, the competitors are only able to use skis and poles.
Bobsleigh is comprised of a high-speed mountain descent with artificial ice tracks on controlled sledges (bobs). The events for Bobsleigh include two-man men's, four-man men's, and two-man women's. There are four runs over the two day period and the team with the lowest overall time wins.
Curling is an Olympic sport that involves two teams composed of four players. It is played on ice. The teams each try to hit a 19.96 kg stone to a target area (House). The goal is to get the stone closest to the center of the house. There are ten ends in curling. Each team gets steers eight stones during each end. During the end, the throwing of stones alternates between teams. One team can score during the end. The way to score is to get the stone closer to the house than the other team.
Luge involves sliding on a special track of artificially frozen ice at high speeds on sleds. The competitors are seated and then after pushing off, lie down with their feet in front of them. Riders move the sled by changing his or her center of gravity. The fastest member is the winner.
Nordic Combined is within the skiing discipline at the Winter Olympics competition. It involves ski jumping and a cross-country ski race. The events for Nordic Combined are
Gundersen race, SPRINT K120 and team/ 4x5km.
Information about Winter Olympics sports was taken from Sochi Winter Olympics website.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
- Football: Diaco 'jacked' to get training camp started with Huskies
- Column: Davis in advantageous position to reach elite level for UConn
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?