THE GAMES ARE ON: The Olympic games bring a wide variety of sports from the well-known to the unusua

By Sandy Mueller

Biathlon:
The biathlon is a mix of cross-country skiing and rifle shooting. The events for biathlon include individual race, sprint, pursuit, mass start race and relay. Any ski technique is allowed in the biathlon. However, the competitors are only able to use skis and poles.

Bobsleigh:
Bobsleigh is comprised of a high-speed mountain descent with artificial ice tracks on controlled sledges (bobs). The events for Bobsleigh include two-man men's, four-man men's, and two-man women's. There are four runs over the two day period and the team with the lowest overall time wins.

Curling:
Curling is an Olympic sport that involves two teams composed of four players. It is played on ice. The teams each try to hit a 19.96 kg stone to a target area (House). The goal is to get the stone closest to the center of the house. There are ten ends in curling. Each team gets steers eight stones during each end. During the end, the throwing of stones alternates between teams. One team can score during the end. The way to score is to get the stone closer to the house than the other team.

Luge:
Luge involves sliding on a special track of artificially frozen ice at high speeds on sleds. The competitors are seated and then after pushing off, lie down with their feet in front of them. Riders move the sled by changing his or her center of gravity. The fastest member is the winner.

Nordic Combined:
Nordic Combined is within the skiing discipline at the Winter Olympics competition. It involves ski jumping and a cross-country ski race. The events for Nordic Combined are
Gundersen race, SPRINT K120 and team/ 4x5km.

Information about Winter Olympics sports was taken from Sochi Winter Olympics website.