Lacrosse: UConn loses to Georgetown, beats Marquette

By Eddie Leonard and Elan DeCarlo

After Georgetown snapped the UConn lacrosse team's six-game winning streak Friday, the Huskies got back on track Sunday with a win over Marquette at the Sherman Family Sports Complex.
UConn and Georgetown exchanged goals in the first half before the Hoyas went on a run, scoring four of the last five goals of the half.
UConn's Alexa Bonnes had the last word of the half, however, scoring the game-tying goal with 4:28 left.
The two sides again went back and forth early in the second half, and the Hoyas again went on a run, scoring three goals in a row to take a 10-8 lead.
Fourteen seconds after Georgetown's 10th goal, Katherine Finkelston scored her third goal of the game off a transition pass from Kacy Pippitt.
"Finkelston has been great all year," UConn coach Katie Woods said. "She has really worked hard on her shot and has become a real threat on the offensive end."
Georgetown's Courtney Caputo scored an unassisted goal with 8:53 left to make it a two-goal game.
UConn's Ally Fazio was able to capitalize on a free position with under four minutes left to cut the lead to one, but that was as close as the game would get.
On Sunday, the Huskies took control early and were able to hold off Marquette en route to an 11-10 win.
After UConn (8-5) jumped out to a 4-1 lead, Marquette (5-8) mounted a run with two quick goals to bring the score to 4-3. That was a trend that stayed for the remainder of the game. However, Marquette was never able to take the lead.
Finkelston, the team leader in goals, added five more to her total, four of which were assisted by Lauren Kahn, bringing her season total to 36.
Pippitt, Kahn, Alexandra Crofts and Jordan Christopher.
"It was a team game today. We won big draws and made the right transition plays. That's what makes us go, playing good team lacrosse. It takes all of us to win."
After allowing six first-half goals, goalie Shannon Nee was pulled, replaced by Marya Frantoni. The decision paid off, as Frantoni recorded two saves and four allowed goals in the second half.
"We needed a spark defensively," Woods said. "I wanted to give the team a jolt. All year long, Shannon and Mar have been pretty comparable, so I was confident in the move."
Marquette struggled all game to move the ball out of their zone, finishing with a total 10 of 20 clear attempts. The Huskies forced 20 turnovers over the course of the game, flummoxing the Golden Eagle offense. Marquette got goals from seven different players, with two apiece from Kenzie Brown, Hayley Bass and Nicole Gleason.
Connecticut continues Big East play on Thursday on the road against Louisville at 4 p.m.