Future Punx live session on WHUS

By Emily Lewson

On Friday April 11, WHUS featured Future Punx for a live session. This semester, WHUS has hosted two musicians/bands per week as part of an in-studio performance initiative. Future Punx played a short set three-song set.
Based in Brooklyn, Future Punx mixes dance music with punk rock, calling it "post-wave" music; it is upbeat, yet edgy. Chris Pickering, the band's lead singer, explained the term,
"An obvious play on words here," he told Sound Stalker, "Post wave is punk music for a technologically advanced society."
The group includes four members: Chris Pickering, Jake Pepper, Britney Boras and Jason Kelly. Pickering, Kelly, and Pepper had previously played together in Fergus & Geronimo. Boras was added after playing with Kelly in Down Wires. Future Punx started playing live in the summer of 2013.
The four recently released their first 7" via Dull Tools, a record label started by Pickering and a friend. The two tracks, "999" and "Living in a Movie,"are reminiscent of the 1980s while meeting with the synthesizers of current dance music.
While their recorded songs have a unique new feel, their in-studio session was burdened by typical musicians' nightmares. The band ended up running late due to a prolonged sound-check, but even with the added time, they faced technical issues. The set they had planned was condensed; they ended up playing only three songs and had to stop a few times to readjust. Pickering, couldn't hear the synthesizer and the band's multiple adjustors did not translate well to the radio. The microphones were distorted. With all these problems, the group grew frustrated.
To pass some time, host R.C. King interviewed the group. When asked what was their favorite club to perform at, Pickering highlighted the emerging Death by Audio.
"The club, Death By Audio, is the hidden gym of post-wave Brooklyn. They give bands the break they need," said Pickering. "The owners of the place and the audiences can't be beat."
Future Punx and Death by Audio are a perfect fit: an underground band from Brooklyn featured at the underground club of Brooklyn.
As Future Punx begins booking more shows, like those at Death by Audio, the band's increasing popularity has put them in the spotlight of many music blogs. Future Punx believes that musicians must be more than simply their music, a concept many of their fans have come to enjoy. In an interview with "The Sound Stalker", Pickering demonstrated Future Punx's attitude towards live shows:
"Live music can be a magical experience and we don't take the responsibility lightly."
Besides the live performances, Pickering continued by suggesting there are greater elements in a show then just the music.
"We take our role as performers very seriously. We like to go further then just setting up our gear and playing songs," Pickering said, "Costumes as well as lighting/projections help to elevate our sets above the experience of seeing your average indie band."
Perhaps, Future Punx was simply too big to be controlled by the simplicity of radio. Catch their upcoming show at Willimantic Records on April 26.