Men's Tennis: UConn ends season with win over Sacred Heart
The UConn men's tennis team ended the 2013-2014 season with a win against Sacred Heart University this past Saturday.
The Huskies won all six singles matches and all three doubles matches to sweep the Pioneers 7-0. This is the fourth 7-0 sweep in a dual meet by the team this season. With the win, UConn moves to an 8-11 record to finish the season. With the loss, Sacred Heart drops to 6-11.
Senior Ryan Carr was honored by UConn as part of Senior Night. Carr who played in the No. 3 singles match and the No. 1 doubles match, is the only senior on the team this year.
Carr was one of five Huskies to post two wins in the meet this past weekend. In the No. 3 singles match, Carr opened up a double-break advantage to win the first set against Sacred Heart's Kevin Budrawich 6-1, before going on to take the match in straight sets, 6-1, 6-4. In the #1 doubles match, Carr teamed with junior Wayne Harrell to edge Sacred Heart's Budrawich and Matt Dean 8-7.
Harrell was another double-winner on the day, as he also claimed victory in the No. 1 singles spot. In that match-up, Harrell conceded just four games to Sacred Heart's Brian Power, going up a break in the first set before running away with the second to take the match 6-3, 6-1.
In his No. 4 singles match, freshman Christopher Toner went down a break to Sacred Heart's Dean in the first set and never recouped, losing the set 3-6. Toner came back to level the match by going up a break at 5-5 in the second, holding serve to take the set 7-5 and force a decider. Toner then won the ensuing ten-point pro set, sealing a hard-fought victory for UConn, 3-6, 7-5, 10-6.
The Huskies finish their season on a two-meet win streak. They look next to the American Athletic Conference Championships, set for April 17-20 at the University of Memphis.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit