Men's Tennis: UConn ends season with win over Sacred Heart

By Eugene Joh

The UConn men's tennis team ended the 2013-2014 season with a win against Sacred Heart University this past Saturday.
The Huskies won all six singles matches and all three doubles matches to sweep the Pioneers 7-0. This is the fourth 7-0 sweep in a dual meet by the team this season. With the win, UConn moves to an 8-11 record to finish the season. With the loss, Sacred Heart drops to 6-11.
Senior Ryan Carr was honored by UConn as part of Senior Night. Carr who played in the No. 3 singles match and the No. 1 doubles match, is the only senior on the team this year.
Carr was one of five Huskies to post two wins in the meet this past weekend. In the No. 3 singles match, Carr opened up a double-break advantage to win the first set against Sacred Heart's Kevin Budrawich 6-1, before going on to take the match in straight sets, 6-1, 6-4. In the #1 doubles match, Carr teamed with junior Wayne Harrell to edge Sacred Heart's Budrawich and Matt Dean 8-7.
Harrell was another double-winner on the day, as he also claimed victory in the No. 1 singles spot. In that match-up, Harrell conceded just four games to Sacred Heart's Brian Power, going up a break in the first set before running away with the second to take the match 6-3, 6-1.
In his No. 4 singles match, freshman Christopher Toner went down a break to Sacred Heart's Dean in the first set and never recouped, losing the set 3-6. Toner came back to level the match by going up a break at 5-5 in the second, holding serve to take the set 7-5 and force a decider. Toner then won the ensuing ten-point pro set, sealing a hard-fought victory for UConn, 3-6, 7-5, 10-6.
The Huskies finish their season on a two-meet win streak. They look next to the American Athletic Conference Championships, set for April 17-20 at the University of Memphis.