'Veep' starts new season with best episdode yet

By Alex Sferrazza

HBO's acclaimed Emmy-winning series "Veep," the critical darling of comedy critics everywhere returned for its third season last Sunday night. If the first episode is any indication, the program is finally in its prime.
The major storyline of this season will involve Selina Meyer's (the titular Vice President of the United States) presidential bid in the wake of the news that the current President will not be running for a second term.
In the midst of a book signing, Meyer, clearly uninterested, receives word that there's possibility that the president will not seek a second term (enabling her to run for the office in the next election cycle). However Meyers's entire staff is attending the wedding of Mike, the VP's communications director. Comically, Mike forces the other staffers to put away their phones during both the ceremony and reception (to little effect, as apparently most of them carry two cell phones).
For a show that is supposed to parody the working environment in Washington D.C., "Veep" pretty much nails the expected overreaction from the staff after being unable to use their phones. It's a fun commentary on modern society's constant dependence on such devices and our inability to put them down at even the most important of moments.
"Veep" is known for featuring a cast of great comedic improvisational actors and the episode featured some of the best moments seen in the series to date.
Julia Louis-Dreyfus once again proves why she's the star of the series. While her scenes as Meyer reacting to the news of the President's possible refusal to run for a second term are humorous enough, it's the scene showing her alone in her hotel room that will provide the biggest laughs of the episode. Bored and without the company of her staff, the VP can be seen in a variety of comedic situations, such as continually banging her chair against a table in an attempt to knock off a book. The humor stems, as much of the program's does, from the irony of witnessing the Vice President of the United States acting not dissimilar to a child the second journalists and cameras aren't around.
Timothy Simmons gives his best performance as Jonah (White House liaison to the VP's office) in this episode. No doubt I mention this due to the hilarity that ensures when he's actually fired from his job, but props to Simmons for making Jonah's exit as hilarious and over the top as one could possibly hope.
"Veep's" third season premier continues the program's brilliant brand of political satire, which has always stayed focused on the actions of politicians and not policy, in a grand way. With one of the series' best episodes yet, "Veep" once again proves itself as can't-miss comedy television.