Women's Tennis: UConn gets third straight victory

By Eugene Joh

The UConn women's tennis team finished up regular season play by picking up their third straight victory this past Saturday, beating the Marist College Red Foxes 6-1 in a dual meet.
UConn seniors Lucy Nutting, Jennifer Learmonth and Marie Gargiulio were honored by the Huskies as part of senior night. Playing in their last meet at the UConn tennis courts, all three posted wins in their respective matches, with Nutting and Learmonth posting two victories, each.
Nutting recorded a 15th victory in both singles and doubles play over the weekend, winning her No. 4 singles match and #1 doubles match against the Red Foxes. In No. 4 singles, Nutting went two breaks up against Marist's Melissa Carlay in the first and second sets, losing just three games in a 6-1, 6-2 victory. In No. 1 doubles, Nutting teamed with sophomore Srna Stosljevic to beat Marist's Callie Morlock and Karly Pang 8-3.
Stosljevic also won at No. 1 singles on Saturday, en route to registering her team-leading 20th singles victory. In that contest, Stosljevic cruised to a 6-2, 6-1 victory over Marist's Karly Pang. With the win, Stosljevic moved up to a 20-11 regular season record in singles matches.
Freshman Emma Alderman broke Marist's Callie Morlock three consecutive times in the opening set of their No. 2 singles match, as Alderman sealed the bagel set 6-0. Alderman would go on to lose just one game in the match, winning it 6-0, 6-1. Alderman picked up a second victory in doubles play; she teamed with junior Maxene Weinberg to beat out Marist's Carlay and Kaye Eastman 8-3.
Weinberg produced the only blemish on the Huskies final meet of the regular season, losing her No. 3 singles match to Marist's Marielle Campbell in a three-setter. Weinberg started the match at a higher level than her opponent, taking the first set 6-3. Campbell would come back to take the second 7-5 and force a decider. Weinberg was unable to take control in the ensuing ten-point tiebreak, losing the match 6-3, 5-7, 4-10.
UConn next heads to the American Athletic Conference Championships, scheduled to take place from April 17-20 at the University of South Florida.