Men's Track and Field: UConn earns 15 top-5 finishes
Over the weekend, the UConn men's track & field team competed in the prestigious Spec Towns Invitational, where participants from all over the world and teams from all over the country competed. Countries such as Jamaica, Slovakia and Nigeria showed up for the event, as well as schools from the midwest, northeast and south came out for what was a highly competitive event. This weekend, UConn tallied two first place finishes and 15 top five finishes. The two top finishes were recorded by freshman Michael O'Donnell in the 1500 meter run and sophomore Robert Rhodes in the 800 meter run, as both lead the way for the Huskies at this event. Sophomore Nicholas Bertolini finished third. Senior Paul DeSalvo and junior Philip Caldwell finished third and fifth behind Rhodes in the 800 meter.
Other top finishes were recorded by senior captain Eric Masington and freshman Matthew Graziano in the discus throw, as well as freshman Randall Wall grabbing fourth in the 100 and 400 meter hurdles, while fellow Husky sophomore Aaron Sykes finished third in the 400 meter hurdle. Other top five finishes were junior Tobey Belton who placed third in the high jump, freshman Craig Hunter who placed fourth in the pole vault and senior captain Darnell Cummings who placed fifth in the 100 meter dash, as well as two UConn relay teams, who finished fifth in the 4x100 and third in the 4x400 meter.
Next weekend, UConn will compete in their last outdoor home meet this year, where they will be hosting the UConn Home Meet on April 19 at George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex. After this meet next weekend, the Huskies will be only two meets away from the AAC championships, which begin on May 2. The AAC championships will start the championship season, which also included the New England Championships, the IC4A championship and the NCAA championships, taking the Huskies from Tampa, Fla. to Westfield, Mass. to Princeton, N.J., finishing in Jacksonville, Fla.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Delta Gamma appeals revoked recognition
- BREAKING: Two UConn Sororities and One Fraternity Banned
- Men's Basketball: Former Huskies take pride in UConn's fourth championship
- Men's Basketball: Different decisions, no regrets for Daniels, Boatright
- UConn Football is Back
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
- Football: Diaco 'jacked' to get training camp started with Huskies
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools
- Two Sides of Curb Appeal: Beauty and Performance
- Using Subtypes to Guide Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer
- 10 Things to Know About the New HiSET High School...
- Champagne Diamonds Make Fashion Transitions Pop This Fall
- A Tip About Secondhand Smoke and Asthma
- Save Energy and Money With Home Lighting Techniques
- Former Smoker: You Can Quit