An encore likely in Encore's future

By Emily Lewson

• UConn’s hip-hop dance team, Encore, performed at Jorgensen on Sunday, showing off their variety of styles. Troy Caldeira

Encore, UConn's own Contemporary and Hip-Hop Dance Team, presented "Evolution," interpreting the progression of time through dance yesterday at Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts. Although Encore members were featured, other hip-hop groups from across the state were also invited.
Founded in early 2012, Encore has been a premier performance group on campus. Last year, they won SUBOG's Spring Weekend competition between the performing organizations and have since appeared in events across campus. The team is not only inspired to perfect their performance on stage, but also attempt to embody positivity and respect.
Sunday's performance marked Encore's first dance showcase. Starting with "The Big Bang," the show moved through history and into the "Future." All Encore presentations were prefaced with a short video segment of a member expressing the group's purpose with the following dance.
The "Feminist Era" dances demonstrated the performers' range of talent. It was easy to liken the performance to the varying abilities of women.
"We can be sexy and feminine," member Tracey O'Brien, an 8th semester animal science major, said. "The women of Encore are limitless."
Following O'Brien's words, the dancers featured a red and black theme. They took over the previous dancers' "Renaissance" setup. A single dancer with a masquerade mask, a bright red skirt and a cutoff top became the presence of the stage. She stole the show and brought about a seeming revolution on stage. The female dancers demonstrated how hip-hop was an expression of emotion.
While Encore's performances were impressive, their invited guests added unique style. MegaHurtz, a breakdancing group from New Haven, began their set with a typical party scene, including a beer pong table. The group's breakout moment came when they cut the music and brought in a beat-boxer. At this moment, MegaHurtz filled Jorgensen with their passion. The dancers' fluidity was immaculate and they moved as one being.
To close the night, Encore's "Future" stole the show. The opening video was short, but complete.
"Can you handle Encore's future?" demanded Christina Edwards, a 6th semester human development and family studies major.
The stage then became littered with dancers, moving synchronously and with purpose. With this closing number, Encore demonstrated their mission, which states "the organization [is] committed to excellence on the stage."
"We may all be exhausted, but we are, without a doubt, shining in our success," captain Andre Gary said.