Column: What a title can do

By Tyler Morrissey

Here we are a week later and I still can't believe it. Not only did the UConn men's basketball team shock the world...again, but the women took home their record ninth title.
Who had more fun than us Huskies this week?
The celebrations, pep rallies and nights at Teds have given us some of the best memories we'll have at UConn. For seniors, we were lucky enough to see four national titles. We came to this university as bright-eyed freshmen who only saw UConn dominate basketball on TV. We leave this campus in a few weeks as champions. Geno Auriemma said it best at the women's pep rally, "if you go to this school, you're a champion."
Whether you are graduating in a few weeks or have three years to go, this title might define your time in Storrs. For me, the men's title has awoken the pride I hold for this university. That's the power of sports, a topic I've written about extensively in this paper.
On Saturday 50 or so fellow Huskies and I packed a Peter Pan bus for the Red Sox versus Yankees game in the Bronx. As I sat there drinking my $11 Bud Light and eating my $6 hot dog, I asked myself "why do people dump so much money on sports?"
We do it because sports give us a break a respite. As students we work hard six or seven days a week. We enjoy our basketball games or baseball games because it allows us to get lost in something bigger than our everyday problems or the stresses of finding a job after college.
Next weekend I'm going to Fenway to take my girlfriend to her first Red Sox game and this summer I intend on attending at least two more MLB games. Sharing a game with somebody special is good for the soul. Some of my best memories involve sharing a game of baseball or basketball with a loved one.
For sports fans, life is measured not only in real time, but also in buzzer beaters, no-hitters and championships. We remember where we were when Shabazz Napier and the Huskies brought home banner No. 4 or when the Red Sox won it all at Fenway for the first time in nearly 100 years.
Some people may not understand sports, or even care about sports, but after seeing thousands pack Fairfield Way to celebrate a national championship, sometimes you don't need to care. Professors had to deal with half-empty classes, sleepy students and even some late assignments. Most of them put up with all of this inconvenience to give students the chance to soak in what could be their only chance to witness dual championships. On behalf of students everywhere, thanks for letting us celebrate.
College basketball season may be over, but until next October Husky fans can hold their heads high and wear their white and navy proudly. I'm sure that Coach Ollie and Auriemma already have their sights set on what's next for their respective teams. Storrs is once again the college basketball capital of the world. The view from the top is pretty nice, and I think I speak for a lot of people when I say I hope the Huskies stay there for a while.

Follow Tyler on Twitter @TylerRMorrissey