Baseball: Huskies take two out of three at Cincinnati

By Matt Zampini

• The UConn baseball team took two out of three games against Cincinnati this weekend in Ohio. UConn is now 17-17 overall and 4-4 in the American Athletic Conference. PATRICK GOSSELIN/The Daily Campus

Blake Davey's two home runs on the weekend helped propel the UConn baseball team to a series win over the Cincinnati Bearcats at Marge Schott Stadium in Cincinnati, Ohio.
With two wins on the weekend, UConn (17-17, 4-4 American) is back to .500 for the season and has now won four out of their last five games.
Following a 7-4 win over Brown last Tuesday, head coach Jim Penders said he hoped that his team would learn and carry over the momentum from the close victory heading into a tough conference matchup. The Huskies did just that.
Cincinnati took the first game of the weekend series, defeating the Huskies 3-1. UConn outhit the Bearcats 11-7 but were only able to scratch one run against Cincinnati's starting pitcher Connor Walsh. Walsh went the distance against the Huskies, striking out four and surrendering only two walks.
Senior Anthony Marzi was sent to the hill by Penders to start the weekend, throwing 7.2 innings while allowing seven hits and only two walks with four strikeouts.
Even though Marzi took the loss, he continues to climb the ladder in UConn history for innings pitched and strikeouts. Marzi passed Matt Barnes and Patrick Sperone to jump into second place in innings pitched with 262.1, and with four strikeouts he moved into a tie with Charles Nagy for seventh all-time with 194 strikeouts.
On Saturday, UConn used three home runs from Davey, Griffin Garabedian and Vinny Siena to level the series with a 7-2 victory over the Bearcats.
Davey's homerun was his team-leading sixth of the season, while Garabedian's homer was the first of his college career.
Jordan Tabakman started on the mound for the Huskies, throwing seven innings and allowing just five hits and one run.
On Sunday, the UConn offense exploded for 14 runs in a 14-2 win, clinching the series for the Huskies and making it their first ever series win in the new conference.
Bobby Melley anchored the Huskies offense, going 3-for-5 with three RBIs. UConn put up 15 hits on Sunday, receiving multi-hit games from four different players. Davey was one of them, going 2-for-3 with two runs and a two-run home run. Davey now leads the team with seven home runs.
Anthony Kay started on the mound for the Huskies and shut down the Bearcats lineup throughout, throwing six innings and allowing just two runs on five hits. Kay also had five strikeouts on the day.
UConn returns to the diamond on Tuesday when they will travel to Fairfield, Conn. to take on the Fairfield Stags.