Softball: Huskies' winning streak snapped, swept at Louisville

By Dan Madigan

• The UConn softball team was swept in a three-game series this weekend at Louisville. The Huskies dropped to 9-29 on the season and are 2-9 in the American Athletic Conference. TROY CALDEIRA/The Daily Campus

After winning two home games against Providence and Fairfield, the UConn softball team was unable to continue their winning streak against Louisville, as the Huskies were swept in the weekend series by scores of 9-1, 6-0 and 9-1 in Louisville, Ky.
The Huskies began the first game of the doubleheader with a 6-0 loss. The loss marked the sixth time this season UConn has been shutout, and their first shutout loss in the AAC since their 8-0 loss to USF on March 23.
UConn outhit the Cardinals eight to six, but the Huskies were never able to capitalize with runners on base, as they stranded nine over the course of the game. Louisville's Maryssa Becker kept the UConn offense off balance all day, forcing 11 groundballs and striking out six while only walking one batter.
Game two of Saturday's doubleheader resulted in a 9-1 five inning loss shortened by the eight run mercy rule. Kayla Doty took the loss for Huskies and surrendered seven runs on eight hits in 3.2 innings pitched.
UConn scored their only run of the game after Jacklyn Dubois drew a leadoff walk in the top of the third. Following a sacrifice bunt, Dubois advanced to third after Maddy Schiappa reached base on a throwing error. A sacrifice fly from third baseman Emily O'Donnell scored Dubois and gave O'Donnell her eigth RBI of the year.
In the final game of the series, the Huskies were once again beaten 9-1 in five innings. Lauren Duggan took her second loss of the weekend, surrendering nine runs on ten hits while striking out two. The two losses this weekend dropped the junior pitcher to 6-17 on the season.
UConn's offense was once again inactive, mustering only five hits and stranding six on base. Louisville's Becker once again silenced the Huskies, striking out four without a walk to improve her record to 12-3 this season.
The three losses this weekend dropped the Huskies to 9-29 on the season, and 2-9 in the AAC, putting them at the bottom of the AAC standings. The Cardinals improved to 27-15 overall and 8-4 in AAC play, good enough for third in the conference.