Game changer for 'Archer'

By Maurilio Amorim

After a few seasons of a comedy, things tend to get stale. The writers of "Archer" seem to have acknowledged this by bringing in a huge game changer. The show is now titled "Archer Vice" and rather than focusing on espionage, it focuses on the former disgraced spies attempting to make their way into the drug trade and sell the huge amount of cocaine they were left with after their offices were shut down and they were left unemployed.
"Archer" has always been about humor. There were many moments where the plot tried to humanize certain characters and add more substance, but they were never really developed. I recall an episode where Archer had a flashback to his teen years, when he almost had an epiphany as to how he became the womanizing alcoholic he is today. The show never came back to that plot line. Normally, this would disappoint me, but if there's any show that can get away with simply sticking to big laughs week to week, it's "Archer."
The problem with comedies is that after a while there is no more room for the story to really progress or characters to develop. The show can still be funny, but there is usually no more room to go other than dragging on the same path. Despite its game-changing plot adding a layer of excitement, this is still true of "Archer Vice." The show is as funny as it has ever been, but it still lacks substance. We have become so familiar with the characters that nothing shocks us anymore and we are merely watching predictable old friends. This was a letdown, but the show still has me laughing.