Game changer for 'Archer'
After a few seasons of a comedy, things tend to get stale. The writers of "Archer" seem to have acknowledged this by bringing in a huge game changer. The show is now titled "Archer Vice" and rather than focusing on espionage, it focuses on the former disgraced spies attempting to make their way into the drug trade and sell the huge amount of cocaine they were left with after their offices were shut down and they were left unemployed.
"Archer" has always been about humor. There were many moments where the plot tried to humanize certain characters and add more substance, but they were never really developed. I recall an episode where Archer had a flashback to his teen years, when he almost had an epiphany as to how he became the womanizing alcoholic he is today. The show never came back to that plot line. Normally, this would disappoint me, but if there's any show that can get away with simply sticking to big laughs week to week, it's "Archer."
The problem with comedies is that after a while there is no more room for the story to really progress or characters to develop. The show can still be funny, but there is usually no more room to go other than dragging on the same path. Despite its game-changing plot adding a layer of excitement, this is still true of "Archer Vice." The show is as funny as it has ever been, but it still lacks substance. We have become so familiar with the characters that nothing shocks us anymore and we are merely watching predictable old friends. This was a letdown, but the show still has me laughing.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest