Killer Mike and AE the Illusive at Spring Fling

By Carles Lopez Penalver

This past Saturday WHUS brought rapper Killer Mike for its annual Spring Fling concert.
Rapper AE the Illusive, a UConn senior, opened up for Killer Mike. He pumped up the crowd, by being interactive and asking to "raise your hands up" and making them laugh by telling funny stories of how his songs originated.
There was a five-minute wait between sets in order to transition from performers, but Killer Mike came out straight away without making his public wait.
From the beginning, Killer Mike got the crowd going by creating a personal set, performing close to his audience.
Between songs he talked with the audience, telling them motivational things about them being college students and saying, "you guys are the future."
His lyrics were politically influenced. In his song "Reagan," Killer Mike sings about Reaganomics, explaining how the criminal justice system in the United States works as another way to enslave minorities.
At the end of his set, Killer Mike did an a capella performance while reciting poetry in the middle of the crowd.
He stayed after the concert to take photos and speak to everyone who was interested in his music, making a personal connection with his audience.
Santiago Pelaez, a 4th semester natural resources major and the marketing coordinator for WHUS, spoke about the turnout of the concert.
"We didn't do the best in the marketing aspect of it. However, I believe that the people who came and stayed for the whole concert had a great time, which was around 300 people," Pelaez said.