Pierce promoted to Executive Director

By Julia Werth

The expansion of dining services over the past seven years called for the promotion of director Dennis Pierce to executive director.

In the seven years since Pierce took over as director of dining services, the role has expanded significantly as students, parents and the administration expect more variety, better quality and more locations for food on all of the University of Connecticut's campuses.

"The job evolved," Pierce said. "It was not an overnight thing. My position was being reviewed because the scope of the position changed significantly."

Pierce started working for UConn in 1987 as an assistant director when the department was only in charge of large dining units and they didn't serve meals on the weekends. 

Dining services now does 4,800 catered events a year, according to Pierce, and they have been asked by the administration to be more entrepreneurial. This more adventuresome component includes the recent bookstore in Storrs Center, as well as the Coffee Concept at the Waterbury campus.

In the next few years Pierce will be leading the service to provide food at the law school as well as at the new downtown Hartford campus.

Dining services has not only grown in physical locations but also in number of employees, Pierce said.

"Since most of our employees are university and not state we have to run our own human resources department as well," Pierce said.

This expansion and the plans for continued entrepreneurial efforts would not be possible, according to Pierce, without the support and encouragement of UConn's administration.

"This promotion comes out of recognition," Pierce said. "I am very appreciative of the support we get from the administration-the provost, Michael Gilbert and President Herbst."