Department prepares for concert
The UConn Fire Department is gearing up for this weekend's Groove Boston concert with three fully staffed ambulances, an increased number of medical teams attending the event, forewarned local hospitals and the hope that students will do their best to stay safe.
During last year's electric dance concert at Jorgensen, similar to this weekend's Groove Boston, "the fire department had numerous calls even at the very beginning of the concert and took three patients to the hospital right at the start," Lieutenant Heidi Vaughan said. Therefore, Vaughan said, "we have increased our staffing," for this year's performance.
"Alcohol intoxication, severe vomiting and possibly other drug use" are the cause for the many 911 calls received during events like Groove Boston, said Vaughan.
The root of these calls, however, is not under the fire department's control. No matter how many personnel they send to the event, the best way for students to stay safe and enjoy the event is in their hands.
"We know students drink before, but just be responsible," said Vaughan. "Don't drink too, too much or, best of all, don't drink at all."
As usual, no bags or backpacks will be allowed into Jorgensen during the Groove Boston performance.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest