Finishing your own UConn bucket list before graduation

By Kim Halpin

For all of us graduating seniors, take a second to think about the consequences of May 2014. Not only does it mark the well-anticipated end of your requirement to sit in classes, but also the end of your time as a college student. Is there anything you've wanted to do on campus but haven't gotten the chance yet? Anything stupid you've wanted to do while "it was college" is still a viable excuse? Now's the time.
     Start with all of the places you wanted to go on campus. Have you checked out the supposedly haunted spots on campus? Been to all the cafés and found your favorite? Perhaps there's a historic building you've always admired from the outside, but never wanted to go in. Check it out!
 After you have your go-to destinations on campus, think off campus. Are you finally of age and haven't been to all the bars around campus? Go! How about the two casinos that are within relatively short driving distance? Use the fact that you're close by in Storrs to your advantage and head down this weekend.
 The next major question to ask is: Have you hit all the major areas of campus life? Start with clubs and activities. UConn has over 400 different clubs and organizations; Did you join one or at least go to a meeting? Next, think about athletics. See if you can go to a game of each of the 22 official sports teams on campus, or at least those that still have games left this year. There are also plenty of club teams that you could participate in or just support.
 Of course, there are the typical experiences you might want to have before you leave college, too. You could pull an all-nighter to cram for an exam, or not study because you're coming down with senioritis. If you're over 21, have you gone out for a drink on a school night? Do it now while you don't have anywhere to be the next day until noon, instead of a boss that expects you in the office before 9 a.m. There are, of course, a myriad of other activities that students typically do in college involving excessive amounts of alcohol that could be on your bucket list too. Just take the necessary precautions to stay safe-and don't do anything too stupid, dangerous or illegal. You don't want to jeopardize your chances of actually finishing the semester.
 If you don't have the time to come up with your own ideas for your bucket list, the UConn Senior's website has a page full of ideas. Their suggestions include trying the senior ice cream flavor at the Dairy Bar, having a picnic on Horsebarn Hill and getting into the Instant Daily. One of their more tasty suggestions is getting a breakfast sandwich at the food truck on campus. Lizzy's food truck is normally parked between Arjona and Montheith.
Regardless of what is on your personal bucket list, one thing is true for all seniors. The time to check off the items is growing shorter by the day. Now's the time to do what you've been holding back on.