Men's track and field set for Sykes-Sabot Challenge

By Matt Kren

This weekend, the UConn men's track and field team will be competing at the Sykes-Sabot Challenge at Penn State University. Last year, the Huskies finished second at State College, Pa. and trailed first-place Penn State by 27 points. As a junior last year, and the senior captain this year, Darnell Cummings had two first place finishes as he claimed the top spot in the 200 meter and the 60 meter dash. Coming off of a first place finish last week in the Coaches Tribute Invitational at Rhode Island, where they won by a landslide, the Huskies will look to keep momentum going.
With such success in the start of the indoor season, this team looks prime to take home some trophies and victories this season. Though coach Greg Roy said they still have a long way to go before they can be considered one of his best teams.
"You really judge a team by how well it competes in championships, specifically the conference championship," Roy said. "We are doing the things we need to do in order to be the best we can be. I thought Rhode Island would be tough for us, and we really steamrolled them. This weekend is a very different level of competition."
One athlete on the team who has stepped up all season long, no matter the level of competition has been senior sprinter Kyle Twombly, who is coming off a first-place finish last week in the 500-meter.
"This upcoming Penn State meet is where we really need to buckle down and give it 110 percent," Twombly said.
Echoing the sentiments of Roy, Twombly believes the increase in competition will be a good challenge for the team.
"This weekend is a great opportunity for all of us as a team and individually, to really put together something special," Twombly said. "We have a lot of talented guys on the team and with the increasing level of competition; I think we're going to see a lot of breakthrough performances this weekend."
This competition is just another measuring stick race for the huskies in which will hopefully help them one step closer to winning the AAC championship.
With a young team, the seniors will be the key in getting the Huskies the victory this weekend, in a place where the increase in competition will be evident. Teams such as Princeton, Penn State and Cornell will be there to challenge as it will be interesting to see who steps up on the squad.
"It'll be a great competition," Roy said, "and will really tell us where we are and what we need to do over the last month of the season."