Huskies head to Hartford for in-state matchup

By Jack Mitchell

After staving off a sweep by earning its first American Athletic Conference win on Sunday against South Florida, the UConn baseball team returns to its non-conference schedule with a road tilt against in-state rival Hartford Tuesday.
The game was originally scheduled to be UConn's home opener at J.O. Christian Field, but was moved to Fiondella Field in West Hartford, Conn. due to unplayable field conditions in Storrs.
UConn's loss to South Florida last Saturday marked the end of a six-game winning streak, during which the Huskies outscored their opponents 54-13 and averaged nine runs per game.
The Huskies (11-10, 1-2 American), despite earning only one victory in their three-game set with the Bulls last weekend, received outstanding outings on the mound from starters Anthony Kay, Anthony Marzi and Brian Ward.
In the conference opener last Friday, Kay struck out six batters across five frames and allowed just three hits. Marzi manned the hill on Saturday, tossing 7 2/3 outstanding innings that included nine strikeouts and three hits. Not to be outdone, Ward took a no-hitter into the seventh inning on Sunday, earning his second win of the season in the process.
The team announced yesterday that freshman Andrew Zapata will draw the start against the Hawks (9-8, 2-0 America East), his third of the season. He allowed four runs on four hits in his last outing on March 18, a 9-4 win over Harvard.
UConn faces a Hartford team that is riding a five-game winning streak, a run in which they've outscored their opponents 25-9. The Hawks also boast one of the top pitching staffs in America East, a group that leads in earned run average (2.47) and opponent batting average (.231).
The Hawks' staff is anchored by 6-foot-5 junior Sean Newcomb, a former blue-chip high school prospect who is widely considered to be a likely first round pick in June's Major League Baseball draft.
The Huskies last played Hartford on the road on March 26, 2013, a game UConn won 9-1.
On the topic of awards, sophomore first baseman Bobby Melley was named to the American Honor Roll for his performance last week, going 8-for-18 with two doubles and four RBI across four games.
First pitch this afternoon is scheduled for 3 p.m. Coverage of the game can be heard on 91.7-WHUS.