Luis Suarez: World-class but destructive

By Rob Moore

If we were asked to write a lengthy list of the pros and cons of having Luis Suarez on our team, the cons would span numerous pages.
But so do the pros, like his four-goal bouts and his absolute top-class work rate.
Yet goals aside, if I were asked whether or not I'd build a team around Suarez - I'd immediately say no without any second questioning.
This season in the Premier League, Suarez and strike partner Daniel Sturridge have lit up nearly every defense. And while Liverpool may be an outside favorite to win the Premier League crown, it is because of the boots of Suarez that the Reds are marching up.
There are numerous types of strikers in the world of soccer. There are the Filippo Inzaghi's of the world, who stand at the midway line and are practically born offside.
There are strikers like Lionel Messi, Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Cristiano Ronaldo who can create their own chances at any moment in a match.
Then, there are strikers who rely on others, as Robin van Persie does to Wayne Rooney or Olivier Giroud does to Santi Cazorla.
Which brings us to Luis Suarez - he is all of the above.
Suarez is the type of player who can impact a match at any moment while also making average players look world-class. In many ways, Suarez is the Sir Alex Ferguson of the players. Ferguson brought the most out of a very average squad, while Suarez continuously makes Joe Allen and even Raheem Sterling look like $50 million signings.
Understandably, all of this hatred towards Suarez began during the 2010 World Cup while Suarez famously stopped a sure goal with his hands against Ghana. As a result, as many soccer supporters know, Asamoah Gyan missed the resulting penalty kick, sending the Uruguayan's onto the next round of the World Cup.
            However, Suarez should be seen more as a deity than a monster in that instance. He single handedly, or "palm-edly," kept his country's hopes alive. While many may despise Suarez in that instance, it is only the tip of the iceberg.
Even though the Uruguayan is arguably one of the best strikers in the world at the moment, behind only Ibrahimovic, his antics on the pitch are absolutely disgraceful.
Suarez bites defenses. Literally. Suarez's 20-plus goals this season have taken the Premier League by no surprise, but his bite on Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic's arm surely shocked the world. Or did it?
While Suarez's actions never were punished during the game (he notched the equalizer in stoppage time), he did receive a 10-match ban by the FA.
His antics are stunning, appalling and downright gut wrenching at times. A class player like himself has the ability to play at any club in the world, and I am quite sure many clubs would love to have him, but many would stand clear.
Take for instance Chelsea. Or even Manchester United. Imagine if Suarez were to come to Manchester United for a record fee - players would vacate immediately. I'd imagine Ryan Giggs would jump ship, and of course Patrice Evra would likely want nothing to do with the Uruguayan after a racism incident a few years back.
But undoubtedly, Suarez is a man on a mission. He and Diego Forlan almost took Uruguay to the promise land in 2010, and will surely look to turn a few heads this summer in Brazil.
Let's not take this as a negative approach to the world's most loved/hated striker in the world. Do not misunderstand, while Suarez could surely tear down a defense as easy as a warm knife through butter - he may also be the demise of a club. Sure, Liverpool is challenging for a title, but how many matches will it take before he and Liverpool part ways?
At the end of the day, we're left with one final sardonic note: do not let Robert Moore become a manager. I'd have Suarez leaving Anfield in a heartbeat.