Softball drops 3 to AAC-rival Houston

By Spencer Mayfield

The UConn softball team lost three games this weekend to the Houston Cougars by scores of 12-2, 16-2 and 8-4 in Storrs. The Huskies fell to a 7-25 overall record with a 2-6 record in conference play.

Houston's offensive performance impressed UConn head coach Karen Mullins.

"It was absolutely one of the better offensive performances I have seen this season," Mullins said. "They hit right through their lineup very aggressively."

The Cougars' offense set the tone for the weekend in the first inning of game one. Houston scored four runs on four hits off of UConn pitcher Lauren Duggan. The Huskies battled back in the second inning when Dominique Pinto scored on a pass ball and an RBI single from Audrey Grinnell scored Maddy Schiappa.

That would be the end of the scoring for the UConn offense as Houston pitcher Julana Shrum settled down from that point. Houston got on the board again in the fourth inning by scoring another five runs to blow the game open. The Cougars added three more runs in the top of the fifth to extend their lead to 10 runs. The game ended after the Huskies failed to score in the bottom of the fifth and the eight run rule went into effect. 

In game two of the series, the Houston offense flexed their muscles once again.  The Cougars scored early when UConn pitcher Katelyn Callahan gave up two runs in the first inning. Houston put up another five runs in the second inning followed by seven runs in the third inning. The Cougars offense was just too much for the Huskies to handle; Houston finished with 16 runs in another shortened effort. 

In game three the Huskies battled and took an early tworun lead when Grinnell hit a two-run home run. The lead did not last long, however, as Houston scored four runs off Duggan in the second inning. The Cougars tacked on one more run in the third and another in the fourth. 

UConn was able to get two runs back in the sixth inning but they were never able to mount a full comeback.

"I thought that we competed harder today," Mullins said. "There is no question Houston is a good team that's why they are undefeated in the conference. I was pleased that we were able to come back and really compete today."