USG brings the focus back to academics
This semester the Undergraduate Student Government is returning its focus on academics during finals week by ending the distribution of Sweet Emotions Candy.
The care packages, as USG calls them, are distributed in the library during finals week and for the past year have included academic supplies such as pencils, pens, post it notes and stress balls, as well as a buffet of candy for students to treat themselves to.
"As a committee we believed that it would be a fun and creative way to relieve stress during finals week," said Elena Innes, chairperson of the Academic Affairs Committee. "Students have generally been very receptive to care packages. Every semester student form lines outside of the library doors to receive free materials."
In spring 2013, USG entered into a contract with the local store and because of this the annual finals week event became known as a Sweet Emotions event. The lack of academic focus and the promotion of a business prompted the committee to change its stance this year.
"As the chair of the committee I would like the focus shifted back to academic success during a stressful finals week. The committee is going to continue distributing study supplies and potentially food and drink items, but I am looking to move away from name brands," Innes said.
The change will take place this spring and students can expect USG to bring the focus back to finals week and making it a less stressful experience for students.
"The change will take effect with spring finals week and students can expect that same array of academic supplies. The purpose of care packages is to distribute study materials to students during a finals week," Innes said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest