Student and musician hosts four local pop punk bands

By Zarrin Ahmed

It was an unusually quiet Friday evening. Most were trying to escape the rain, including the late concertgoers, and the residents of Westwood Road were settling into their evenings. There were only a few lights on throughout the entire street around 8 p.m. All was silent except for the bass coming from the basement of Guild Hall, home to Matthew Gantos, an eighth semester Journalism major.
Pop punk was the theme of the night; that's how headliner band Salitter describes itself. Gantos, guitarist for the band, hosted the show at his house and featured bands Silk City, Allapartus and Grinning Dog.
The basement beckoned everyone downstairs with the bass emanating from the floor and the howling notes of The Strokes' "Reptilia" beckoned everyone down the stairs.
Silk City, originally Stamps the Goat when they formed in 2010, hails from Manchester, CT and consists of Tyler Dickens, Chris "Apollo" Hickey and John Schauster. It was their first time playing at the house, but they've performed gigs in many other spaces, including impromptu streetside shows during the Manchester Road Race. At the beginning of each song, they gave introductions and explained what the song was about. They described "Italian Ice" as a song with some Spanish flavor in it. They were right; hitting melodies that had the crowd twisting and turning. Some other songs they played included "Pick up the Pieces" and "Oh Maria." The band also has a comedy series on YouTube under the name of the band and suggests readers watch the video "Taco Trouble."
Next up was Allapartus, a four-person band from Purchase, New York. Adam Woodley, singer and guitarist, performed with drummer Kurt Liniger; the rest of the band couldn't make it. Though it was their first time playing a house show, their aim for the show was to have fun, even with two members missing. All of the band's members attend art school in New York; Woodley studies film and Liniger studies New Media.
The Grinning Dog, founded in fall 2011, is comprised of musicians Sky Calibey, Andy Seigel and Rob Strauss. They describe their music as "high flying, wailing guitar riffs, deep, funky bass grooves, and mechanically precise drum beats" that create a "unique blend of rock."
Salitter closed the night (and the day, since the show was over at midnight). A three-piece pop-punk outfit from New Haven, the band includes drummer Ryan Obier, guitarist and vocalist Gantos and bassist Dan Zold. The band began only a year ago, but has a following of a couple hundred people. The band has progressively poured out material; they have an EP coming out that's available for download on April 13th, the same date as their upcoming show at the Webster Theater.