Lessons I've Learned From T.V.: Life, love and lessons

By Maurilio Amorim

While it was written as a sitcom, the overall story of "How I Met Your Mother" was actually true to life, with a lot of important messages about relationships, friendships and life. I know a lot of people are going to question my judgment on this, but I am willing to argue that "How I Met Your Mother" was one of the smartest and best written comedies of this generation.
There are too many specific lessons to list, so I'll focus on a few big ones. The show teaches us that while people in your life are going to come and go, if someone is truly important to you then you have to make the effort to keep them there. It's very easy to lose touch with people and never reach out to them. While you may think you'll see them again someday, it's really easy for somebody to disappear out of your life forever. This is even true in the Facebook age. As we have seen throughout the years in the McLaren's gang, every friend in your life is going to hurt you sooner or later, intentionally or not. The important thing is to always apologize and patch things up without holding a grudge.
With regards to relationships, a book could be written on things the show advised to do and not do, but the main concept to take away is to always go after whomever you want. In the end, people are only going to regret the chances they didn't take, the things they didn't say to someone and the people they didn't go after. Nobody regrets getting rejected once the embarrassment fades and their pride heals. We saw this in Barney going girl to girl as well as in Ted's peculiar love life. Furthermore, when you want to be with someone, the way Ted always did Robin, you have to tell them and put your cards on the table. It may sting if they don't feel the same way, but you'll never move on until you know, just like Ted couldn't move on until Robin got married. Did nobody else notice he met the mother the moment he accepted that Robin was gone and never going to be his? Well played writers, well played.
Ted tells his kids in one episode that the biggest thing to take away from the show is that life will always work itself out and things will unravel the way they are supposed to. Sometimes the universe is going to present you with opportunities and things you never would have saw coming. Sometimes you are going to run into people or opportunities by chance or coincidence, but it all happens for a reason. You shouldn't overanalyze everything that happens to you, but you should take advantage of these chances, as they may be there for a reason. You also shouldn't stress out the way Ted does in every single episode about dying alone, never finding the right person or ending up at the wrong job. We do have to work towards earning the life we want, but things will always work themselves out the way they were meant to. At least that's what Ted Mosbey says, and I'm willing to believe him.