Nash-Zimmer Transportation Center opens in Storrs Center

By Miles Halpine

• The Peter Pan bus line will now be making stops at the new Nash-Zimmer Transportation Center in Storrs Center, offering students and the residents of Storrs-Mansfield more options

A crowd of nearly 100 people attended the grand opening of the Nash-Zimmer Transportation Center on Monday, April 14 at 10 a.m. 

Located in the downtown development district known as Storrs Center, the Nash-Zimmer Transportation Center will be the hub for all buses - UConn Shuttles, Windham Regional Transit District (WRTD) and commercial lines like Peter Pan - that make stops through the town.

Among the many officials in attendance were U.S. Congressman Joe Courtney, Secretary of the State Denise Merrill, State Senator Donald Williams, Jr., State Representatives Gregory Haddad and Linda Orange, Mansfield Mayor Elizabeth Paterson, UConn Director of Logistics Administration Bill Wendt and UConn Transportation Services Manager Janet Freniere.

"Many, many people and many agencies can take credit for getting us to this day," Paterson said. "The Nash-Zimmer Transportation Center is a unique style of transportation hub. Only a few like it exist in the world, and the closest one is in Boston."

"The Transportation Center is named after Dennis Nash and Gary Zimmer, long-time Mansfield residents - now deceased - who advocated for alternative modes of transportation in the community," Paterson said.

Since mid-March, the UConn Shuttle Purple and Silver lines have gone through Storrs Center and made the Nash-Zimmer Transportation Center one of the places it stops on the route around campus. WRTD, which allows anyone with a UConn ID to ride for free, has already begun servicing through the Transportation Center as well.

Courtney added, "This is an example, not just for the state, but for the country in terms of where we need to go." He explained how a center like this will "help solve so many of our nation's problems," since it makes it easier for people to commute and closer for people working nearby.

Merrill, who was a state representative from 1994 to 2011, said "it took the vision of so many people to make this happen today... this is a model for the country, and certainly for the state."

Haddad said, "Building a community that works for everyone has always been our goal, and I think this shows we're achieving that dream."

Orange, another state representative from Mansfield, said the town "is an example for [others] throughout the state."

Mary Beth Mello, Federal Transit Administration Region 1 administrator also attended the ribbon cutting.

In addition to serving as a bus station for three different bus lines, the center is also equipped with a place for bicyclists to prop their bikes up and use attached tools to fix or tighten parts of them. There is also a parking garage right next door.

After the ceremony ended, tours were provided inside and around the Transportation Center. The center also has bus GPS and schedules, bathrooms, informational kiosks and brochures and waiting areas for passengers. 

More information about the Transportation Center is available on the website, www.MansfieldCT.gov/TransportationCenter.