Men's track heads to New York for Lafayette/Rider Invitational
This weekend, the UConn men's track and field team will be going to New York to compete in the Lafayette/Rider Invitational where it will look to win its fourth meet of the season. Although the Huskies did not compete at this invitational in 2013, they participated in 2011 and had six first-place finishes and 20 top-five finished in 2011. In 2012, they had four first-place finishes and 25 top-five performances. With two more competitions - including the invitational this weekend - before the inaugural American Athletic Conference championships, fitness and health will be important to take home a win. So far this season - out of five meets - three were scored, and in all three of those events the Huskies have brought a victory to Storrs.
Each week, the Huskies have seen an increase in competition, making every success that much more meaningful. Most notably, the Huskies beat No. 7 Penn State, which was "a feather in our cap, and real confidence booster," according to coach Greg Roy.
In regards to the makeup of the schedule, Roy said, "The schedule is set up so that each week builds on the previous one. The [Rhode Island] meet was a neighborhood brawl, which we did just fine in. The Sykes-Sabock provided a tougher test. We stepped out of our neighborhood while also measuring our progress vis a vis Buffalo, who took us to the wire at the Great Dane four weeks ago. Considering we beat Buffalo by over 65 this time, I'd say we have developed nicely."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit