Upcoming book-to-film adaptations to look out for

By Katie McWilliams

There is nothing a bookworm hates more than the announcement that their favorite novel will be transformed for the silver screen. While some print to screen adaptations have been acceptable this year-"The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" being the notable example-films can rarely capture the essence of a novel. This summer, however, several promising renditions of well-loved books will be coming to a theater near you. Now that summer vacation is two weeks away, start reading and you'll be on track to see the movies as they are released.
"The Fault in Our Stars": John Green holds a special place in my heart. While I disagree with the overwhelming majority of his female characters, his novels have quirky and meaningful plots. I devoured "Paper Towns," "Looking for Alaska" and "An Abundance of Katherines" in high school, but I waited several years to read his latest fictional work, "The Fault in Our Stars." A story of two teenagers with cancer, it obviously doesn't have a happy ending. No spoilers here, but I will tell you that between the cover is a heartwarming story that serves to remind all of us that life isn't the number of days you live, but the amount of life within those days. Full of rich, witty humor you'll find yourself laughing more often that crying. The silver screen adaptation has the feel of a true-to-the-page movie with spot on casting and the trailer promises lines from the beloved novel. Starring Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort, characters Hazel Grace and Augustus are perfectly represented. A quick read, "The Fault in Our Stars" is perfect for a day at the beach or a book to while away a summer evening.
"If I Stay": A piece of young-adult fiction that is still meaningful to adults, "If I Stay" is the story of a mousey teenage cellist in Portland, Ore., Mia Hall. The novel follows her relationship with punk rock bad (but not so bad) boy Adam. Full of teenage angst about fitting in and falling in love this is another tearjerker for the summer season. After a terrible accident Mia is forced to deal with her future, relationships and completely different life. The story is compelling and truthful, handling topics such as death, choice and love in a graceful and relatable manner. The film adaptation stars Hollywood darling Chloe Grace Moretz and Jamie Blackley. Prepare yourself for a soaring indie soundtrack and beautiful cinematography.
"The Giver": Confession: I've never read "The Giver." How, you ask, did I make it through fourth grade? I don't know. But I do know that this will be the first novel I pick up this summer in anticipation of the Meryl Streep, Jeff Bridges and Taylor Swift adaptation. I'm sure those of us who have actually read "The Giver" are more excited about the film-but, I'm just excited to revisit some childhood literature that I skipped over.
"Wild": "Wild" is the memoir, autobiography of Cheryl Strayed, who hiked all 1,100 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail to heal after life changing events. For fans of "Eat, Pray, Love"-not me-this will be a must see. It promises all the Zen of a cup of green tea and you'll probably leave the theater thinking you should pick up your backpack and hit the trail. Starring Reese Witherspoon, this could be the actress' opportunity to make headlines again.