Pop Off: Summer movies to make time for

By Brendon Field

This semester has left me beyond exhausted, and as much melancholy as the end of my junior year brings, I am looking very much forward to the summer, especially the prospect of spending what would be a dull afternoon in an air conditioned theatre with my eyes glued to a 30-foot screen. Here are some movies to make time for over the summer.
"X-Men: Days of Future Past": Rebounding off of "First Class" and "Wolverine," "X-Men" films are something to look forward to again. This installment combines characters from the original trilogy and "First Class" as they fight to save the future of their race. Bryan Singer, director of the first two "X-Men" films, has control of the reigns again after a lengthy hiatus. The major new addition to the cast is Peter Dinklage as the primary villain, Bolivar Trask, a scientist who wants to eradicate the mutant population.
"A Million Ways To Die In The West": Seth MacFarlane seems to be growing less concerned with his animated sitcoms by the day, and instead, focusing his attention on movies. Whereas "Ted" was an over-the-top parody of a slacker buddy comedy, "A Million Ways To Die In The West" parodies spaghetti westerns. MacFarlane also stars as a young rancher looking to find courage, and avoid the vengeful gun barrel of Liam Neeson, who wants the former dead for stealing his wife. What I'm looking forward to most however, are the debates centering on whether or not it turns out better than "Blazing Saddles."
"The Giver": This film is based on Lois Lowry's young adult novel that focused a boy's revelation that the post contemporary society that appears utopian, but is actually the opposite. It's a middle school staple, and is essentially "Brave New World" for kids. An adaptation has been in the works since I first read the novel seven years ago, but if the delays have resulted in Jeff Bridges being cast in the title role, the wait has been worth it. Young adult films have become more than oversaturated as of late, but knowing the quality of the source material, I have high hopes for "The Giver."
"Guardians of the Galaxy" I discussed this one already in an earlier column, so I won't go into detail, except for it's a Marvel films about a band of outcasts including a dryad and an anthropomorphic raccoon fighting baddies in outer space. I'm sold.
"Jupiter Ascending": The newest science-fiction effort from The Wachowskis, best known for "The Matrix" and "Cloud Atlas." Another futuristic, interplanetary action/drama, now more common and popular than in the immediate post "Star Wars" years; "Jupiter Ascending" stars Mila Kunis as a common Earth laborer who finds out she is fated to one day be empress of the planet, which doesn't sit well with another galactic monarch played by Eddie Redmayne. The unforseen destiny cliché aside, this looks to be a very unique science fiction film; with the literal universe structured by imperialism and pragmatism. Seeing as The Wachowskis made my brain melt, re-solidify, and then explode with "Cloud Atlas," this should be good.