Baseball takes on UMass for second time this month
Erin Clark has scored two goals in the Huskies last three games. Ed Ryan
After dropping all three games against the No. 12 Louisville Cardinals over the weekend, the UConn baseball team (21-22, 5-9 American) will look to bounce back against the University of Massachusetts Minutemen (9-26) on Tuesday afternoon.
Just a week ago, the Huskies and the Minutemen faced each other at Earl Lorden Field in Amherst, Mass., with the Huskies coming out on top 8-5. Like he has all season, Blake Davey led the Huskies on offense, going 2-for-3 with a home run, three RBI's and three runs scored. Bobby Melley was right behind Davey, going 2-for-3 with a run and two RBI's.
Freshman Andrew Zapata will start on Tuesday for UConn just five days after he threw a career-high 7 1/3 innings of two hit baseball in a victory over Quinnipiac. Zapata has been exceptional in his first year for the Huskies, holding a team-best 1.02 WHIP while sporting a 1.65 ERA, which is third on the UConn pitching staff.
Zapata will face a UMass offense that has struggled this season. The Minutemen have not produced at all this year and rank in the bottom half of most offensive categories in the Atlantic-10. They are second to last in batting average (.248), runs scored (134), hits (284) and RBIs (122). The UMass offense will have to find a way to muster some runs on Tuesday when they face Zapata and the UConn pitching staff, which ranks second in the American with a 2.81 ERA and third in strikeouts (294).
UMass did defeat Fordham in their last contest, 4-1, but before that had lost six games in a row. Tuesday will start a nine-game home stand for the Minutemen, where they are 4-4 so far this season.
With 13 games to go, the Huskies sit in seventh place in the conference standings, 7 ½ games behind league-leading Central Florida.
Tuesday will be the 161st time that these two teams have faced off in a series that dates back to 1900. UConn leads 87-70-3 in the all-time series and has won the last 10 meetings.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest