Baseball goes winless at Dodd Stadium Classic

By Matt Zampini

The UConn baseball team dropped two games to Bryant College and one game to Stony Brook University in the Dodd Stadium College Baseball Classic to fall to 13-16 (2-3 American) on the season.

The Huskies opened the weekend on Friday with a 7-2 loss to the Bryant College Bulldogs. Aaron Hill and Bobby Melley led the way for UConn with two hits and an RBI each. Anthony Marzi made his eighth start of the year for the Huskies but only lasted 4.1 innings, allowing three walks and six runs on six hits.

The Bulldogs jumped out to an early lead, scoring two runs in the top of the first inning. Bryant then brought four runs across the plate in the fifth inning to chase Marzi from the game. Brian Ward took over for Marzi for just his second relief appearance of the year, throwing 4.2 innings, allowing one run on four hits. The Bulldogs tallied another run in the sixth and the Huskies were unable to rally and make a comeback.

On Saturday, the Huskies scored three runs in the second inning, but Stony Brook brought four runs across the plate in the fifth inning and never looked back.
The Seawolves added two more runs and defeated the Huskies 6-3. Anthony Kay made the start on the mound for UConn and struggled all afternoon. The freshman went just 4.1 innings, allowing five runs on five hits with seven walks.

UConn had ten hits on the day, and received RBIs from Jack Sundberg and Connor David. 

Head coach Jim Penders has used his bullpen a lot this season, and Saturday was no different. Penders brought in Patrick Ruotolo and David Mahoney in relief to help UConn stay within striking distance.

UConn was unable to salvage anything out of the weekend, losing again to Bryant 5-3 on Sunday. Once again, the Huskies had an early lead, grabbing a 1-0 lead and taking it all the way into the sixth inning before giving up two runs in the top half of the sixth. But UConn took the lead back in the bottom half, scoring two runs of their own to take a 3-2 lead into the seventh.

The Bryant offense proved to be too much for the Huskies, however, as they tied the game in the eighth and then scored two in the top of the ninth to put the game away.
UConn will have one day off before returning to the diamond on Tuesday afternoon, when the Huskies will travel to Brookline, Mass. to take on Northeastern University.