Sweet Emotions cashes in on the holiday of love

By Alban Murtishi

Student romantics, or loving parents, can find everything they need to have a sweet Valentine's Day at Sweet Emotions. Sweet Emotions, also known as 'The Loudest Candy Store in the Quiet Corner" is prepared for student Valentine's Day needs - providing specialty chocolates, gift wrapping and a romantic atmosphere.
During the Valentine's season Sweet Emotions takes on a pink and red makeover with conversation hearts strung on the ceiling as well as special shelf displays of Valentine treats. Tom Birkenholz, a co-owner of Sweet Emotions, said, "We definitely change it up for Valentines Day - the heart stuff, the chocolate stuff, the pink and the red."
Much like the holiday itself, not all the Sweet Emotions V-Day offerings are completely innocent. Located in the "naughty and nice aisle" are chocolate thongs and chocolate pasties.
"People will get the thongs and pasties and put them on the counter and won't make eye contact, but what happens at Sweet Emotions stays at Sweet Emotions." Barry Schreir, co-owner of Sweet Emotions said. "Chocolate doesn't judge."
The most highly demanded item - the dozen chocolate rose bouquet - is packaged by hand with card and wrapping, and the items can be delivered to dorm and class.
Also popular are the handcrafted specialty chocolates that are made from chocolate makers in Connecticut such as Lady C's Chocolates in Willimantic. "You can't get this at CVS or Walmart, these are handmade," Schreir said.
Parents are also high spenders during Valentine's at Sweet Emotions who end up buying candy packages for their children. Over 40 percent of Valentine's Day related purchases are made by parents.
Also big on Valentine's Day at Sweet Emotions is the conversation heart contest, in which customers can submit on a paper heart the funniest conversation heart message they can think of. Of the more than 200 contestants who entered last year, the winning message was: "Oops, we're related!"
Sweet Emotions racked up more than 25,000 customers last year, and much of that business happens on candy centric holidays like Halloween, Christmas and Valentine's Day.
"My favorite thing about Valentine's here is it's a chance for us to really shine for customers, we do creative things, I like to be able to put something together that's unique and fun and special," Schreier said.