Students decorate a Love Shack

By Molly Miller

• Bela Fleck plays the banjo at Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts Thursday night. Fleck was first inspired by the bluegrass of Earl Scruggs and the banjo is his instrument of choice. JIM ANDERSON

Student organizations that are looking for a way to get publicity while supporting a good cause can do so by helping UConn Habitat for Humanity decorate a Love Shack next Thursday, Feb. 21, and Friday, Feb. 20 between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m.
Habitat for Humanity will build a white, six-foot-tall Love Shack next Wednesday on Fairfield Way, and it's up to student organizations to decorate each of its wooden planks with slogans, Greek letters and pictures.
Organizations can sign up by contacting UConnHabitat@gmail.com directly, or by signing up in the Student Union today or Tuesday between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
Up to three members of each organization can sign up together for 15-minute blocks. Although there is no cost required for participating organizations, 4th-semester nursing major Shaina Forte says that the suggested donation is $20 for a plank and paint, which is being donated by Lowe's. Donations will go towards funding Habitat's projects, such as weekend housing builds.
Once decorated, the 32-square-foot Love Shack will be donated to a local daycare.
"This represents what we do on the weekend," said Forte, the Habitat secretary. Forte explained that Habitat is aiming to raise $3,000 this semester. "We have a high goal, so we needed to do something different."
This is the first time that Habitat has built a Love Shack since 1995. Habitat is also planning on holding a "Jail and Bail" fundraiser and a basketball tournament later in the semester.