College Football week six: Top 25 pick 'em

By Scott Carroll
On October 10, 2012

The college football season hit turbulence last week as the Top 25 got shaken up by a series of upsets and big games. Most notably was the performance of North Carolina State against Florida State, defeating the No. 3 Seminoles in an unbelievable upset. Almost everyone had Florida State running the table in the ACC, but now the conference has appeared to open up.
Florida upset the No. 4 LSU Tigers. The game was just another example of how the power has shifted from the Western to the Eastern Division in the SEC. With schools like Auburn and Arkansas stumbling over themselves this season, the Western Division of the SEC has taken a step back while the Eastern Division has been flourishing. Two of the top competitors in the division played this weekend as South Carolina took on Georgia in Columbia. South Carolina flexed its muscles against the Bulldogs and proved that they mean business.
The shake-up in college football has just begun, with highly competitive games coming up this weekend. With that being said, here are my picks in some of the marquee games.
No. 15 Texas vs. No. 13 Oklahoma
The Red River Rivalry never ceases to be one of the most exciting games of the season. Texas is coming off a loss to West Virginia and Geno Smith. However, it was a close competitive matchup that the Longhorns could have won. So this could be a strong bounce back game for Texas, right? As Lee Corso would say, "Not so fast!" The Longhorn's defense has let up over 30 points to its last three opponents, two of which are currently unranked. The dual quarterback threat Oklahoma presents will be too much for the Longhorns to overcome. Sooner roll and the Longhorns continue to fall.
Oklahoma- 28 Texas- 17
No. 3 South Carolina vs. No. 9 LSU
The last time LSU lost back-to-back games was four years ago in 2008. I don't see this streak being broken this Saturday. There is no way that Les Miles is going to allow that to happen Saturday night at Death Valley in his home stadium. In fact, the Tigers haven't lost at home and at night in over three years. I'd look for their defense to come out fired up and create multiple turnovers. Of course the Gamecocks won't just lie down against the Tigers. The Gamecocks are rolling right now after a big win at home. Quarterback Connor Shaw has been having a great year on the ground and through the year, but he has been injured in past games. The hard hitting Tigers defense could knock out the Gamecock quarterback leaving them one dimensional. At the end of the day, I expect this to be a very low scoring affair. The atmosphere will make the difference and the Tigers win.
LSU-13 South Carolina-10
Iowa State vs. No. 6 Kansas State
Book it and just remember where you heard it first, Kansas State will lose to Iowa State this weekend one way or another. Iowa State is coming off a major upset of TCU at TCU. Iowa State will return home to a raucous crowd that can smell the upset coming. Kansas State has been performing well this season and their quarterback, Collin Klein, has proven himself to be a top Heisman candidate. However, this is a trap game for the Wildcats. The following week Kansas State plays West Virginia and their stud quarterback, Geno Smith. I see the Wildcats overlooking this game and suffering the consequences. Iowa State took down No. 2 Oklahoma State last year in a similar scenario as the Cowboys were set to face Oklahoma the following week. The Iowa State Cyclones continue to be giant killers and take down the Wildcats.
Iowa State-31 Kansas State-24