New logo allowed for club

By Alban Murtishi

With the rebranding of the Husky logo, gone are the days of organizations like club sports displaying it arbitrarily. Kyle Muncy, head of UConn Trademark Licensing & Branding, insists its for the best of the brand. While club sports are allowed to prominently display the new Jonathan on their uniforms and equipment, they must first be approved through an application process to do so, and even then, the badge on the uniforms must be preapproved by Club Sports.

"The biggest thing is, and this is just [in] regards to the husky dog logo in general, the logo as a new trademark is that it has to represent one thing and one thing only and that is the university, if it is used in the creation of other organizations it weakens that trademark" Muncy said.

This philosophy counters the previous guidelines, which was that club sports, and other organizations, could use the old Husky at their discretion, and display it however they would like. While more freedom was afforded to groups, Muncy said that this weakens the overall brand that represents the university.

"They were very serious about the correct usage of the Husky logo as well as other guidelines referring to fonts and words like 'Huskies' and 'UConn.' It was a simple process, but it did take a few weeks," Jordan Grossman, 8th-semester communications major and captain of the club sports swim team, said. 

Club Sports allows a single badge logo to be used, on the back of the swim team's shirt it looks like a circle with the new Jonathan and below the logo in bold blue reads "UConn Club Sports." This design had to first be reviewed by Club Sports as part of the application process.

The badge process is being used for the initial rollout, however Muncy said there are clubs that want to use the logo by itself, but he said that, for now, UConn Sports will have to continue to be more restrictive with the logo.

"Certainly, there will be more flexibility moving forward," Muncy said. "If it is used in the creation of other organizations it weakens the trademark. It's important that we, within the standards, not let that logo become about of other logos and other organizations."