"NBA2K14's" restrictive game play an upset after previous installment

By Michael Jefferson
On November 5, 2013

In 2012, the makers of "NBA 2K13" gave gamers the type of offensive mechanics that ball hogs dream about. Jump shots were automatic, the Euro step was king and defensive rebounding was like that really hard math question on the SATs, omitted. And if you don't believe me, ask my roommate. The guy just started playing the game and he can't miss with Carmelo Anthony. It's almost impossible. That is what made "NBA 2K13" so great, you could just pick up the controller and play. The controls were easy, the dribble moves were great and honestly, you really couldn't miss.
In "NBA 2K14" however, the jump shot is a myth. Even Stephen Curry, the same guy who went into Madison Square Garden and rang in 11 three-pointers can't even make one in "NBA 2K14." It's depressing, like "Toy Story 3" when they end up in the incinerator kind of depressing. Think about that for a second... I'm tearing up.
Maybe the end of ridiculous jump shots is a good thing for the franchise, but did the developers have to suck all the fun out of the game? You can't even dribble anymore. Ball-handlers like Chris Paul end up getting stripped just by driving to the basket, which by the way, is the only way to score in "NBA 2K14." The right analog stick has been reduced to nothing but cheap lay-ups and lame one-steps to the hoop. This raises the question, what's the point of playing basketball if you can't do amazing crossovers and then rub it in your opponent's face? You'd think that a game categorized as a sports simulation would have the one feature tons of fans love to see, the art of ankle breaking.
However, these are just a few of the major changes in "NBA 2K14." If you want to get real nitpicky about it, then by all means, let's do so. On the upside, the graphics are amazing and defensive mechanics in the game are much better. Blocking and rebounding have trumped ball handling and unearthly scoring, so if you're a Bulls fan I guess that's something to celebrate. Unfortunately, the My Career feature falls short once again leaving gamers to suffer from a lack of teamwork - the opposite of what you'd expect in any sports simulator. Plus, Association Mode is the same as it's always been with its outlandish free-agency demands. But if I had to pick the worst thing about "NBA 2K14" it would be how the A.I. still finds a way to destroy your soul in the final minutes of a close game.
That being said, I think it's fair to give "NBA 2K14" a 7 out of 10, and if you want my advice, save your money, make ridiculous shots with Carmelo Anthony in "NBA 2K13" and pray you don't blow a 10-point lead. Or just buy "NBA Live 14" on Nov. 19. It's been a while since "NBA Live 10;" you know you want that old thing back.