Music and Muses

By Julie Bartoli
On October 10, 2012

People (generally women)almost always find the idea of dating a musician attractive. There's just something enticing about the lifestyle, the money (ideally this is a successful musician we're talking about), the impromptu trips to tropical islands. Of course, the most egotistic part of the fantasy is the small chance that your musician beau could make you the topic of his or her next world-famous single.

Now, I'm not talking Taylor Swift here. No one wants to be publically humiliated, especially not via an album titled "Speak Now." (Speaking of which, can someone get this young woman a journal?)  What drives me wild is the concept of the music muse-the person that inspires an artist and moves them. Very few women (and almost no men) are lucky enough to become said person. However, some do make the cut. Here are some of the most noteworthy muses:

Anna Gordy - Co-founder of Anna Records and ex-wife of Marvin Gaye. Gordy was the subject matter on Gaye's early hits such as "You are a Wonderful One" and "Pride & Joy." More notably, Gordy was the subject of an entire album-Gaye's 1978 "Here My Dear," which focused on he and Gordy's divorce.

Claudette Frady - Ray Orbison's first wife and the woman behind the songs "Claudette" and "Oh Pretty Woman." The two divorced quickly, courtesy of Frady's infidelity.

Marianne Faithful - Mick Jagger's girlfriend of four years, known then for her rampant drug use and now for her successful music career. Faithful inspired several Stones songs, including "Wild Horses," "I Got the Blues" and, allegedly, "You Can't Always Get What You Want." She was also the wanton protagonist in The Hollie's "Carrie Ann."

Linda Eastman - Better known as Linda McCartney, the inspiration behind Paul McCartney's "Maybe I'm Amazed." Linda played keyboard alongside Paul in "Wings," and she had four of Paul's children. She tragically died of breast cancer at age 56.

Sharona Alperin - The inspiration behind The Knack's "My Sharona." Lead singer Doug Fieger met 17-year-old Sharona and was immediately inspired, stating, "I fell in love with her instantly." He wrote The Knack's one-hit wonder in 15 minutes, and his relationship with Sharona lasted four years.

Pattie Boyd - Perhaps the most reputable rock muse, Boyd was the subject of George Harrison's "Something" and of Eric Clapton's "Layla" and "Wonderful Tonight." Boyd was married to Harrison when Clapton began making advances. After hearing "Layla," the model quickly divorced Harrison, marrying Clapton in 1979. The two divorced nine years later.