UConn holds 7th annual Art 4 AIDs event

By Samm Roberts
On November 30, 2012

• A piece of artwork hangs on display at UConn’s 7th annual Art 4 AIDS event. The event is held as part of World AIDS Week, a week dedicated to spreading awareness of HIV and AIDS. JON KULAKOFSKY/The Daily Campus

As part of the 7th Annual "Art 4 AIDS" event during World AIDS Week, Thursday night's HIV/AIDS vigil was a tremendous success.
More than 100 people gathered in room 310 in the Student Union at 7 p.m. for the event, which followed the opening of the art exhibit on Wednesday.
The event was hosted by Amy Maladore, a Health Education student worker who had been working on the event since last January, and Joleen Nevers, the Health Education coordinator.
Many thanks were given, especially to Planned Parenthood Campus Action and to the Student Union for supplying the room in which to display the artwork.
All of the pieces of art inside the room were created to raise awareness about "the reality of the HIV/AIDS pandemic that has affected people around the world," according to the pamphlets given out at the event.
Upon entry, each attendee was given a pink glow-stick bracelet, which seemed like the only color in the darkened room during the minute-long moment of silence halfway through the event.
Also attending were three of UConn's a capella groups that had volunteered to sing at the event: the Rolling Tones, the Conn Men and A Minor.
Each group performed two pieces, with occasional solos in some of the songs.
The Rolling Tones performed "Angel" by Sarah McLachlan with a solo by Kaitlyn Witt, and "Iris" by the Goo Goo Dolls with a solo by Tyler Delano.
The Conn Men performed "Bring it on Home to Me" by Sam Cooke and "Hard Times Come Again No More" by Stephen C. Foster.
A Minor performed "Dreaming with a Broken Heart" by John Mayer, and "Sunrise" by Norah Jones.
In between each performance, statistics were read about HIV and AIDS in an effort to remind the attendees of the severe impact that the diseases have on many people's lives.
There are currently 33.4 million people in the world living with AIDS, and approximately one in every five people living with HIV are unaware of their infection.
One in every four people with HIV/AIDS is between the ages of 13 and 24. Every nine minutes, someone in the U.S. is infected.
The best ways to prevent transmission of HIV/AIDS is to get tested and practice safe sex, or even abstinence.
UConn Health Services is located in South campus, and they reminded the attendees that they supplied free safe sex supplies to students.
They also reminded everyone that Planned Parenthood also supplies abstinence kits, and that 91 percent of their services are preventative.
The next event for World AIDS Week will be Condom-a-thon, taking place during UConn Late Night this Friday.